PDA

View Full Version : 800/1D X Lethality

Arthur Morris
12-12-2012, 09:09 PM
This image was created with the Canon 800mm f/5.6L IS lens and the EOS-1D X. ISO 400. Evaluative metering +1/3 stop as framed in Manual mode: 1/1250 sec. at f/7.1.

The combination of the 1D X and the 800 for photographing single cranes in flight makes me feel as if I am cheating; it is just that easy....

Don't be shy; all comments welcome.

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1715"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

dankearl
12-12-2012, 09:58 PM
It is very good and the bird really pops from that nice BG.
I do think skill and experience had a little something to do with this.
I might crop a bit tighter but that is just a preference.

Greg Oakley
12-12-2012, 10:31 PM
Stunning image Arthur - classic pose, excellent light and detail, and a killer bg,
Cheers Greg

Karl Egressy
12-12-2012, 10:32 PM
It is as good as it gets. Great landing pose, beautiful background. I overherd someone telling that you were standing right where he stood just a day before.
That's how I knew that I chose a right spot for shooting. Please look at my landing picture if you have time. (Posted two days ago, the last corrected version)
I would like to hear your opinion. Thank you.

John Cooper
12-12-2012, 11:16 PM
Nice action captured here Artie as the crane prepares for touch-down. The colourful BG and reflections in the water really makes the subject pop!

Raymond Lee
12-12-2012, 11:53 PM
As good as it gets! Nice soft lighting and killer background.Ideally, I wish the crane is a bit higher in the frame.

PhilCook
12-13-2012, 01:56 AM
Very sharp especially for a relatively slow shutter speed at 800mm, nicely timed and the light/exposure looks perfect. Great subtle color backdrop to compliment the birds colors, my only though for " slight " improvement would be to have a bit more space on the bottom

Arthur Morris
12-13-2012, 07:44 AM
It is as good as it gets. Great landing pose, beautiful background. I overherd someone telling that you were standing right where he stood just a day before.
That's how I knew that I chose a right spot for shooting. Please look at my landing picture if you have time. (Posted two days ago, the last corrected version) I would like to hear your opinion. Thank you.

Karl, Please post a link. When you were standing exactly where we had been, what was your footwear?

Arthur Morris
12-13-2012, 07:45 AM
Very sharp especially for a relatively slow shutter speed at 800mm, nicely timed and the light/exposure looks perfect. Great subtle color backdrop to compliment the birds colors, my only though for " slight " improvement would be to have a bit more space on the bottom

Thanks Phil. Considering the location of the far shoreline "a bit more space on the bottom" would have upset the compositional balance :).

Arthur Morris
12-13-2012, 07:47 AM
As good as it gets! Nice soft lighting and killer background.Ideally, I wish the crane is a bit higher in the frame.

Thanks Raymond, It the bird had been "a bit higher" in the frame the far shoreline cutting the bird would have been a big problem....

Karl Egressy
12-13-2012, 07:59 AM
Karl, Please post a link. When you were standing exactly where we had been, what was your footwear?

The gentleman said that he was standing exactly where you were standing a night before. He repeated it at least six times but I never had a look at him.
I was a few feet to the left and a few feet further back to where he was standing.
There were broken branches thrown into the mud where I was standing and I wore high cut waterproof boots, so I was OK.
This spot was about thirty feet towards the viewing deck from a popular spot where people lined up in three rows to photograph the landing.

Arthur Morris
12-13-2012, 08:28 AM
Thanks. You were close. I was several feet to the right of where you were standing wearing my muck boots.

Arthur Morris
12-13-2012, 08:29 AM
ps: please post a link to your landing crane image.

Karl Egressy
12-13-2012, 09:05 AM
ps: please post a link to your landing crane image.
Sorry I missunderstood it. Now here is the link.
http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/105561

Jim Crosswell
12-13-2012, 10:22 AM
I like the landing pose, exposure, sharpness, details and composition. Very well done Arthur!

Tim King
12-13-2012, 03:44 PM
It's pretty much at its peak in a wing-spread. Great timing and exposure. Fine job.

David Salem
12-13-2012, 07:37 PM
Great wing position and love the legs setting up for the landing. Nice and sharp and exposed very well. Good comp choice too.

Geir Jensen
12-14-2012, 04:27 AM
Wonderful shot . Maybe , the bird a litte bit higher inn the frame.

Well done .

Frank Schauf
12-14-2012, 06:14 AM
Fantastic. Wonderful pose and background.