PDA

View Full Version : Green Heron

stevehill
12-12-2012, 09:00 PM
Cannon 7D, 800 ISO, 1/800 sec ,f 5.6 ,500mm. Full frame, this little guy was intent of catching a meal and allowed me to capture images for close to 20 minutes. I believe I'm fumbling on much of my post processing and hope to get a logical flow and understanding soon. I also need to calibrate my monitor in the next few weeks before going any further. Thanks for all your comments and support.

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1718"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Arthur Morris
12-12-2012, 09:12 PM
Welcome Steve, The two thinks that I like most about this image are the fish--I'd call it a spearing or a silversides, and the head centered against the dark area. Sharp and the processing looks pretty good to these old eyes.

Karl Egressy
12-12-2012, 10:41 PM
Great action shot, Steve. the composition looks pretty good. The bird might need some more sharpening or it just monitor.

John Cooper
12-12-2012, 11:11 PM
Nice bit of action captured here Steve. Love the light illuminating the head, mouth & neck. The fish was a nice bonus and image appears sharp throughout. It would have a greater impact Steve if you gave it the full 1024 pixels on the long side.

christopher galeski
12-13-2012, 01:34 AM
nice capture Steve,like the pose,fish is a bonus.thanks.

PhilCook
12-13-2012, 02:01 AM
Very nice !....beautifully colored bird, great timing with the fish and composure....liking very much the water movement and it's satin texture. I think it could do with a tad more selective sharpen on bird only and a wider aspect with a bit mnore space in the direction the bird is facing. Well done and I'm frustrated to say I've seen and photographed quite a few birds here similar to this one...but have never yet seen one get a fish hehehe

Nick Palmieri
12-13-2012, 07:10 AM
Nice pose and capture. I think this could be improved by toning down the bright area in the ULC. TFS

Daniel Cadieux
12-13-2012, 12:36 PM
Pretty neat, I love the image for the reasons already stated, but I also dig the water flowing over the foot. Had the fish been pointing the other way around that would have been the icing on the cake, but I'd take this any day!! I'd explore toning down the brighter part of the BG rock directly above the heron's head - perhaps some low opacity clone work (40-50%) would do the trick.