PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Red Fox

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
12-12-2012, 06:13 PM
Yesterday we spotted this Red Fox in the neighbor's shrubbery taking a nap. I took this at a distance of about 20 feet and shouted in hopes that he would lift his head and open his eyes. He did neither. About 15 minutes later he arose, streched and ambled off to the woods and has not been seen since. What I would like to know, does anyone know what caused the strange line on his fur around his nose and eyes? Could this indicate an older fox or maybe very young? The shooting data is as follows:

Nikon D4
200-400mm @ 400mm
400mm (in 35mm film)
1/1250 sec, f/7.1
Mode: Av
Metering: Multi-segment
ISO: 800
AF mode: AF-C

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1953"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Steve Kaluski
12-13-2012, 09:16 AM
Hi Mac, I think this Fox is suffering from what we have over here, Mange. I'm no expert, but it looks and sounds like it.

Mites burrow into the outer layer of the skin, forming tunnels into which they deposit several kinds of material (eggs, faeces, shed shell, digestive secretions) causing intense irritation to the skin. The mite life cycle lasts about two weeks and heavy infestations can build up rapidly. The disease is intensely irritating and animals have been known to chew their own tails off trying to relieve the itching. At advanced stages of the disease, infected individuals are often seen wandering around during the daytime, especially in cold weather; the infected animals try to maintain their body temperature seeking warm places, such as buildings. Death may arise from a wide variety of causes, including starvation and hypothermia. Some how I feel this one has little time left.

I think from what you have capture, it might have been wise just to let him/her just move off in their own time. Personally I would never suggest in making a noise or sound to get an animals attention, especially in this state, as it's not 'good practice', however.

Getting back to the image, perhaps moving more to the left and getting really low down on the ground may have give a better POV, as it appears the Fox was not disturbed by your presence. It also appears quite saturated in colour so I might tone that down, but watch the highlights on the LHS of the face and I would have dropped the ISO to 400 as the subject was static.

Sorry Mac, I just don't like to see animals suffering in this was, just my take.

cheers
Steve

Andrew Merwin
12-13-2012, 03:30 PM
Mac, my first thought when I saw your image was: mange. I agree whole heartedly with Steve's comments.

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
12-13-2012, 06:22 PM
Thanks so much for the information, I think that's exactly what the problem is.

Mac

PhilCook
12-13-2012, 06:56 PM
Awwww, that is sad, Mange is definitely the problem, an introduced pest animal here in Australia sadly, but still cant help but feel sorry for this poor little one.

Not a shot one can easily prepare for, and the techs matter not to me in this image.....just the feelings behind it make it a worthwhile shot