PDA

View Full Version : Misty dawn

Vincent Grafhorst
04-26-2008, 04:53 AM
Dawn over a misty Moreswa pan in Khutse game Reserve, central kalahari, Botswana.

A misty morning like this is not a very common sight in the kalahari.

This is a blend of two exposures.

When I made this image I was not yet awake and shot this at f/5.6 first, before I corrected my mistake and shot it again at f/22. At home I found out to my surprise that the images at f/5.6 were sharper!? Am still puzzled...

Camera Model Canon EOS 40D
Shooting Mode Aperture-Priority AE
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/15s and 1/4s
Av( Aperture Value ) 5.6
Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
Exposure Compensation 0
Autoexposure Bracketing 0 and +2
ISO Speed 100
Lens EF-S17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
Focal Length 22.0 mm
Image Size 3888x2592
Image Quality RAW
Flash Off
White Balance Mode Color Temperature(5200K)
AF Mode Manual focusing
Live View (which acts as MLU on the 40D)
Remote
Tripod

Vincent Grafhorst
www.khwaiphotography.com (http://www.khwaiphotography.com)
vincent@khwaiphotography.com (vincent@khwaiphotography.com)

Judy Lynn Malloch
04-26-2008, 08:47 AM
Very striking composition with wonderful contrasting colors. Love the touch of clouds to the left and the overall feeling of this image. Very sereene and peaceful. Like this very much Vincent.

Roman Kurywczak
04-26-2008, 09:37 AM
Hi Vincent,
I like the balance, mood and colors of this. Debating taking 1/3 of the dark blue sky out for more of a pano. I may have the answer at f22. I'd imagine the 1/4 second was for the FG.........take it from 5.6 to f22........approx. a 4 seconds exposure.......tripod better be rock solid......... or in the case of the tree......no wind at all. Overall a very appealing image,
Roman

Robert Amoruso
04-28-2008, 07:39 AM
Vincent,

This is really a beautiful image that is very well composed. The tree in the FG is balanced by the cloud on the right. The array of colors from the soft light of the FG mist to the reds and yellows on the horizon to the ever deepening blues in the sky are superb. I love that one bright star. Well done.

Christopher Hill
04-30-2008, 08:43 PM
Vincent,

On the 40D, diffraction effects start in at about f/8. Your pixel size is 6.4 microns while the Airy disk at f/8 will be around 5.4 microns (for the green wavelengths). At f/22, your Airy disk is close to 15.3 microns - enough to blur fine details over a three by three pixel area spread. If you're looking at 100% crops, it should be fairly noticeable.

Or, as Roman points out, perhaps it was just motion blur from a long exposure...