PDA

View Full Version : Springbok in the mist

Vincent Grafhorst
04-26-2008, 03:46 AM
Female springbok grazing in a misty pan at dawn.

Khutse Game Reserve, central kalahari, Botswana

Many may argue there is too much empty space here. IMO that is what this image is all about. I wanted to portray this animal in its habitat, which on this morning had an atmosphere which is not at all a common sight here in the kalahari.
I deliberately made this a low-contrast image in order to emphasise the misty atmosphere.

I tried a pano crop, but preferred this presentation.

Btw this is what the lion from my previous posts was after...:D

Camera Model Canon EOS 40D
Shooting Mode Aperture-Priority AE
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/100
Av( Aperture Value ) 7.1
Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
Exposure Compensation 0
ISO Speed 400
Lens EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
Focal Length 390.0 mm
Image Size 3888x2592
Image Quality RAW

Vincent Grafhorst
www.khwaiphotography.com (http://www.khwaiphotography.com)
vincent@khwaiphotography.com (vincent@khwaiphotography.com)

Van Hilliard
04-26-2008, 03:04 PM
I love the empty space and the overall feel of the photo. There's just enough color in the spring\bok to draw the eye. I also think the darker areas on the left create a nice visual balance. Beautiful work.

Howard Burkert
04-26-2008, 08:22 PM
Vincent, Your image is awesome as is. And I can see it as a large wall print. Your foreground and background placement is ideal. A real photographic essay!!
Best,
Howard.

Roman Kurywczak
04-27-2008, 09:54 AM
Hi Vincent,
While a may have preferred a little off top (1/5 of the mist area) that is my personal taste and in no way detracts from the overall image. Stunning!!! If the lions had this in them.......we'd run out of adjectives. What a mood you have here,
Roman

Bob Ettinger
04-27-2008, 04:25 PM
Great mood and a nice image. As Roman suggests a little off the top would not hurt but this must look great on the wall.

Robert Amoruso
04-28-2008, 02:15 PM
Nice work Vincent. I like the open expanse. I had similar from Silver Salmon Creek with grizzly bears and like you went for the open expanse.

Steve Canuel
04-29-2008, 09:48 PM
I like the open space and the smooth transition from earth to sky. Very nice.
Steve