PDA

View Full Version : Looking into getting a Blind any recommendations?

Corey Hayes
12-10-2012, 10:19 PM
I am looking for something for one person that will work with my 500mm lens and is not to heavy.

I was looking at this one at Bassprohttp://www.basspro.com/Ameristep-Doghouse-Hunting-Blind/product/102023231/?cmCat=CROSSSELL_THUMBNAIL

but thought I would ask here before I buy something.

Daniel Cadieux
12-11-2012, 05:59 AM
The Ameristep blinds are good, I have the "Outhouse" which I like but I would actually prefer the one one link to. They are light and very easy to setup. Re-folding them back takes a few tries to get used to though. If windy out make sure to peg it down...those blinds blow over quite easily!

BenBotha
12-11-2012, 06:01 AM
I use the chair blind from Ameristep and the tripod and 500mm fits in snugly. It comes with a basic bag with straps to carry it on your back. The chair inside is convenient.

Ben

Richard Mc Donald
12-11-2012, 06:24 AM
Some months ago after doing a search on Google I came across the Super Hide, designed in Thailand by a bird photographer for bird photographers.

After useing the Ameristep version for some years I was pleasently suprised by the thought and build quality that has gone into producing the Super Hide especially the consideration given to ventilation for hot weather and unique port designs.

I now own both the Single Hide because of its compact size easily strapped onto a backpack and the larger Tower Hide for my none hiking trips.

Another apsect of both hides I really like is that they get right away from the boreing and mundane shooters cammo patterns of the Ameristep brand.

Although more expensive it's not till you actually get to use one that the extra cost makes itself justified.

Shipping is also super quick.

Link - http://superhide.multiply.com/?&show_interstitial=1&u=

Richard

Ulli Hoeger
12-11-2012, 09:25 AM
I found that depending on location it can be hard to find a spot with sufficient real estate to set-up a doghouse blind. Those blinds are quite roomy inside and have therefore a considerable footprint. Often a tree or bush is in the wrong spot, making it a challenge to set it up or break it down.

Recently I got my hands on a Kwik Camo bag hide (someones youtube demo video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWNzGBcmptI)) that hopefully will offer a bit more flexibility in tight spots (Ameristep offers a 3D Poncho that should serve purpose in a similar way).

Ulli

Corey Hayes
12-11-2012, 09:40 AM
that super Hide looks pretty good but the color seems to be better for the tropics.

Joel Eade
12-11-2012, 10:12 AM
I have used the "outhouse" and the "doghouse" from Ameristep. The "doghouse" was problematic because the window is not tall enough. When seated I had trouble positioning my tripod with the 500mm lens. If I lowered enough to clear the upper edge of the window it was way too low to comfortably shoot and really no way to use a flash as well. The "outhouse" does not have this problem and overall seems much better suited to photography. I had one permanently installed in my backyard setup for a few years but it finally deteriorated due to chronic exposure to the sun and weather.

Don Nelson
12-11-2012, 12:16 PM
I've used both the outhouse and the doghouse. Both work well.
Purchase an appropriate walkstool or blind chair (take a look at some on cabella's for the latter).
Four additional things you may wish to think about:

1) putting additional diecut blind material (Avery or Hunters Specialties work - see your local hunting store, or online) over at least the front window means the skittish birds won't see anything but lens and flash. But you can still see a lot through the diecut openings as you wait for the subject to arrive. I just drape it over the top- but secure it in windy conditions with a little gaffers tape. One additional advantage - in warm/hot climates, you'd like to open the other side windows but that makes the interior bright enough for the subjects to recognize you easily -- a little camo on the front windows means you can open the side windows for ventilation.

2) If you use flash and wimberly bracket - get one or two extenders(module 6) to put the flash outside the opening. If not Wimberley then build what you need.

3) Put some durable cloth tape(I use cloth gaffers tape available from photo stores) on the inside, vertically in front of the window(s). Cut a slit lengthwise through the tape and wall material to allow the front tripod leg to go through. This puts the rear two tripod legs along the wall, freeing up more space and putting the camera forward (you may not have to extend the flash bracket if you do this). Why the tape? Keeps the thin, seemingly flimsy, material from ripping further.

4) I find that in sandy or dirt areas, putting a cheap mat down keeps down the dust. Without it there is surprising amount of dust raised, and it just hangs since the blind is almost entirely enclosed. I'm a stickler for dust not getting on the camera equipment. However, out west, we have significant problems with hanta virus carried in dust where mice/rats have been. I don't spend any time worrying about that, but hate breathing the dust. Those of you in grassy areas or with leaf litter won't have to bother....

David Stephens
12-12-2012, 04:27 PM
I use the Kwik-Camo and a folding stool and really like the light weight and easy setup.

Corey Hayes
12-13-2012, 01:22 PM
Seems like nothing is 100% ideal sounds like there could be a market.

Dave Hassell
12-13-2012, 08:42 PM
Expensive but far stronger.

http://www.wildlifewatchingsupplies.co.uk/retail/acatalog/Hides_Hides_Accessories.html

Dperkell
06-27-2013, 10:22 PM
My 10 y/o daughter is following in my tracks with photography and wants us to get a hide. Any recommendation that seat 2 comfortably and what type if chairs do we need?