PDA

View Full Version : Great Blue Heron Calling.

Mike Delgado
12-10-2012, 06:36 PM
This GBH was on her palm calling here mate, sadly no one came to her calling. Taken at Viera Wetlands.

Comments & Sugestions are encouraged.

Henry Domke
12-10-2012, 07:01 PM
I was not aware that Great Blue Heron's postured and called to their mates like this. We have a GBH rookery at the Prairie Garden Trust and I've never seen them do that.
I love the flaring of the throat feathers!

Marina Scarr
12-10-2012, 08:29 PM
This photo is quite lovely. I like the pose and the composition you chose very much.

If you could provide your settings when you post photos, Mike, it would be most helpful to those offering critiques.

Well done on this one!!

Mike Delgado
12-10-2012, 08:45 PM
Nikon D300S
500mm F4

F Stop 6.3
ISO 640
Speed 1/250
Metering Spot
Flash Yes

Any advice you can give would be appreciated

This photo is quite lovely. I like the pose and the composition you chose very much.

If you could provide your settings when you post photos, Mike, it would be most helpful to those offering critiques.

Well done on this one!!

Cheryl Arena Molennor
12-10-2012, 08:49 PM
Mike I was all prepared and redy to upload my photo when I saw your thumbnail. It fooled me for a minute because I hadn't uploaded yet and the reason I was puzzled was because my image was very similar except my heron is on grapeleaves and facing the other way LOL. So I decided to post a different image for now. I was so excited to see the rituals have begun already! This is nicely captured with great light and detail.

Mike Delgado
12-10-2012, 09:00 PM
That is funny! The rituals have begun at Viera Wetlands. Very busy there this weekend many photographers there.

Mike I was all prepared and redy to upload my photo when I saw your thumbnail. It fooled me for a minute because I hadn't uploaded yet and the reason I was puzzled was because my image was very similar except my heron is on grapeleaves and facing the other way LOL. So I decided to post a different image for now. I was so excited to see the rituals have begun already! This is nicely captured with great light and detail.

Arthur Morris
12-10-2012, 09:03 PM
Welcome Mike. Sharp and nicely framed. The bird is sky-pointing. I am about 99.99% sure that there is no vocalization involved.

Mike Delgado
12-10-2012, 09:17 PM
I did hear a small grunt everytime the raised thier heads, I assumed it was from them. Thank You very much for your comments.

Welcome Mike. Sharp and nicely framed. The bird is sky-pointing. I am about 99.99% sure that there is no vocalization involved.

Raymond Lee
12-10-2012, 10:19 PM
Great capture of such unique pose!

Mike Delgado
12-10-2012, 10:40 PM
Thank You Raymond

Great capture of such unique pose!

John Cooper
12-11-2012, 01:05 AM
A great pose captured here Mike with excellent feather detail, and nicely composed within the vertical format.

Daniel Cadieux
12-11-2012, 12:24 PM
This a a graphically very strong image, I love the flared feathers matching the palm's leaves and the comp is perfect. Well done. I only wish the sky was "bluer" (less yellow, if that makes sense), and there is a dust bunny to shoo away between the head and right edge.

Satish Ranadive
12-12-2012, 02:51 AM
Excellent image.Beautiful pose with lovely feathers,nice lights and superb composition.Love it.

Regards,
Satish.

Robert vanMierop
12-12-2012, 10:10 PM
Nice image Mike. I was there the next day and they were still at it...definitely with some vocals. I noticed the "bunny" too. Your stuff has been rockin' lately.

Mike Delgado
12-15-2012, 02:47 PM
Thank You all for your comments & critique.