PDA

View Full Version : Yellow-throated Warbler - Ecstasy and Agony

Bill Dix
12-09-2012, 06:18 PM
I was chatting with my friends on their screened-in upper deck on Sanibel the day after Thanksgiving, when this beautiful little warbler appeared in their back yard (no feeders). A life bird for me! He gave us great looks on open perches, but my host politely refused my request to cut a hole in the screen porch. So I ran upstairs to an open third-floor balcony, but at that point the bird was reluctant to come into the open again. I got just two quick frames in the open before he flew off to points unknown. Unfortunately these were dorsal views with only a hint of his gorgeous, eponymous yellow throat. I was at least pleased to get a fairly sharp image of a life bird, but was frustrated to come so close to him and not get an image that does him justice. Anyway, here it is for what it's worth.

D7000, 500f4 + 1.4, ISO 800, 1/500s @ f/5.6 manual, fill @ -1.7 EV, tripod

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1709"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Jack Breakfast
12-09-2012, 06:31 PM
Quite a nice photo still and all, Bill, and I feel your pain. Most important is that you saw the bird, got to look for a while. I probably would have cut the screen anyhow and lost the friend, but everyone is different...

Alan Murphy
12-09-2012, 07:49 PM
Bill, it is the killer setting and sharpness on the bird that make me beg for that head turn. Still a great image.

John Cooper
12-09-2012, 09:20 PM
Even a dorsal view is better than none at all Bill, so your efforts were not futile. Still a nice sharp subject nicely framed with the foliage and killer BG.

Henry Domke
12-09-2012, 09:25 PM
Cool story and I do love Yellow-throated Warblers. However the eye seems a bit soft to me and it really misses something by not showing off that yellow throat.
They nest along the creeks at the Prairie Garden Trust. Come and photograph them there during the breeding season.

Jim Crosswell
12-09-2012, 09:50 PM
Great story Bill! I exited many conversations abruptly in an attempt to capture an image. Hope you have better luck in your next encounter and until then I would be happy with this one.

Shawn Zierman
12-10-2012, 05:08 AM
Looks like the sweet spot of focus is on the primaries/back of the bird. Head and tail appear outside of
critical focus. Congrats on a decent "grab shot" anyway. But a bigger congrats on the lifer! I'm still
missing this species....

Karl Egressy
12-10-2012, 08:00 AM
Great opportunity, excellent image quality, Bill. Congratulations on your lifer.

Stu Bowie
12-10-2012, 09:10 AM
Hi Bill, I bet your heart was racing to capture your lifer, and I like how the warbler is framed between the foliage. I agree, the sharpest area is on the back and wings. Congrats on getting your dream shot.

David Salem
12-11-2012, 04:34 AM
Congrats on a fine capture. I like the HA and the pose. sharp and well exposed . Well done

Bill Dix
12-11-2012, 04:37 PM
Thanks everyone. I agree that the bird is sharper on the back. I would normally have stopped down a bit more, but there wasn't a lot of light. As it is, there may also be a bit of motion blur. Ah well, maybe I'll see one again some day.