PDA

View Full Version : Eyes upon the prize...

Morkel Erasmus
12-09-2012, 11:00 AM
...I'm slowly trying to work my way through the images of our lion hunt in the Kgalagadi recently.
I love this one. I've got another variation which I'll show you...but first this one. I converted to monochrome due to the low variation in natural colour. I'll post the colour version for comparison in the 2nd thread.

I couldn't believe how close the eland came to the lions without seeing them on this open plain.
Yes, the eland looks emaciated.

Masses of eland migrated from Botswana side in search of water. Unfortunately there's not enough vegetation of the kind they require in their diet in this part of the Kgalagadi to support their numbers and lots of them are dying of malnutrition. Lots have returned to Botswana but those that linger are quite frail or are mothers with younger calves. The lions pick some eland off (like what happened here) and many others simply just die around the waterholes. The scavengers are having a ball.

Your thoughts?

Techs:
Nikon D3s with Nikkor 500mm f4 VR-II
f5.6 @ 1/800 SS @ ISO-3200
EV +0.3
95% of full frame

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1771"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Morkel Erasmus
12-09-2012, 11:07 AM
In colour...

Steve Canuel
12-09-2012, 02:09 PM
Hey Morkel,
I prefer this one to the one posted on the other site because of the separation of lion and eland and the sense of walking into trouble. Also prefer the color version here. The B/W looks too flat while the color provides a little more "contrast" to the scene while still retaining the look of the almost monotone habitat. Maybe the eland was thinking "If I ignore it, it'll go away."

Marina Scarr
12-09-2012, 07:40 PM
Very intriguing image, Morkel, and I much prefer the color version. I also prefer the other image which I would probably consider sending to contests if it were mine. I will comment on it when you post it here.

Rachel Hollander
12-09-2012, 07:50 PM
Hi Morkel - I too prefer the color version. It really is amazing that the eland seems to be unaware of the lion. I like the muted tones of this and feel that it adds to the lion's attempt to blend in. Maybe just a little more NR on the top portion?

TFS,
Rachel

Mark Wiseman
12-10-2012, 02:43 AM
Hi Morkel,
An awesome image well captured. You cannot complain about your lack of Kalahari leopard(s) when you witnessed this kill with the image sequence you obtained. Magnificent!!!!!
Thanks for sharing and I cannot wait to see more images from the lion hunt you witnessed.
Best wishes, Mark.

Steve Kaluski
12-10-2012, 11:39 AM
An interesting concept here Morkel, and a composition rarely seen here, very cool.

I'm not sure about having the Eland so big in the frame, personally I find it a bit too dominant and would have liked more space around. In addition, the lioness is looking behind this Eland which I feel lets the tension down. You will now have to post the other image submitted, but for me, that other one ticks the boxes, but have you it in landscape format? The colours are better, there is more habitat, but the key part, is that the lioness is locked onto the Eland which is the component part to the whole story for me.

TFS
Steve

Gregor Bergquist
12-10-2012, 05:26 PM
I do agree with with Marina and Steve. This picture is lovely. I love interaction between animals, it tells a story. That other picture is something else. That just shows how much difference a eye blink do. I do like the color version and the very low saturation, just like you had in "lion in flight".

TFS; Gregor

Anette Mossbacher
12-11-2012, 01:51 AM
Hi Morkel,

the color version I like the most. For me well done, wink :))

Morkel Erasmus
12-12-2012, 02:34 AM
Thanks for your detailed feedback, guys.
I guess I should upload the "other" one now? :Whoa!:
Steve, I don't have it (the other one) in landscape format, was shooting vertically to get that dawn sky in the frame, and within moments the chase was on and I had to revert to landscape format quickly and start tracking the action.

peter delaney
12-14-2012, 04:51 AM
Hi Morkel
Prefer the subtle hues of the colour image , especially as u are drawn towards the lions eyes... the B&W is to flat tone wise and lacks the punch of the colour image.
Looking forward to your images of the kill.

Morkel Erasmus
12-14-2012, 05:37 AM
Hi Morkel
Prefer the subtle hues of the colour image , especially as u are drawn towards the lions eyes... the B&W is to flat tone wise and lacks the punch of the colour image.
Looking forward to your images of the kill.

thanks Peter
would you burn the highlights a bit more for some punch in the monochrome? :e3

peter delaney
12-14-2012, 06:02 AM
Hi Morkel
Geez a difficult one ! TBH i would probably have done the opposite and gone high key with everything but the subjects .. then nothing distract viewers attention ..