PDA

View Full Version : Canvas Back on spring break

Randy Stout
12-09-2012, 09:36 AM
This canvas back drake was imaged two years ago while migrating north in March. Their wide dynamic range of plumage is always a challenge, but I was lucky to get softer light for this image which helped.

D300 500mm f/4 @ f/6.3 1/3200s ISO 500 Gitzo/Wimberley

Post: selective sharpen, water clean up (min) , slight crop for comp

Advice and comments always appreciated.

Cheers

Randy

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1878"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Sidharth Kodikal
12-09-2012, 09:48 AM
Hi Randy, the light is beautiful and you've nailed the exposure. Details are nice too.
I would have liked it even more if the body wasn't angled the way it is.

Miguel Palaviccini
12-09-2012, 10:09 AM
Very nice exposure (and as you mentioned the light helped - as we all know the problems of exposing for B and W on the same bird)! Love the detail of water droplets on the face and a very nice HA. I agree that I wish the rear wasn't turned toward us, but still a lovely image.

Stu Bowie
12-09-2012, 10:36 AM
Hi Randy, Im fine with the angle of the body, its the good HA thats works here. Overall, well exposed, love the browns of the head, and the droplets stand out nicely.

Shawn Zierman
12-09-2012, 10:41 AM
Great looking image of this species. Love all the water bead detail on the head and body.
I'm with Stuart here, the head angle is perfect for the body angle, and as such, it's all good.

Randy Stout
12-09-2012, 11:00 AM
Thanks guys for the valuable input. RE: angle in the frame

I guess I consider this a look back pose, similar in a duck like way to a song bird sitting on a perch with his back towards us, and generally it can be an effective image if the the head angle is right ( parallel to the sensor, or for my tastes, a tiny sliver back towards us). What generally isn't as effective is if the body towards us is out of focus, but I find the DOF on the canvas back acceptable for this type of shot.

Again, I appreciate your input, and just wanted to share my thoughts on it!

Cheers

Randy

Mike Landwehr
12-09-2012, 04:19 PM
An excellent image, Randy. I like the balance of the composition, the soft light, the detail in the whites, and especially the red eye and the water droplets. Can't think of a thing that I would change, unless it would be a lower camera angle.

Randy Stout
12-09-2012, 04:59 PM
Mike:

Thanks for taking the time time to comment. unfortunately I was as low as possible at this location!

Cheers

Randy

Peter Dexter
12-09-2012, 07:13 PM
I would have preffered a crop with more space below the duck's body. Apart from that, very impressive image.

Nick Palmieri
12-10-2012, 07:42 AM
Wow 5000mm (lol) guess that was a typo...very nice. I just love the angle of the head the sort of twisted appearance of the beak. The eye looks great and I love the water.

Satish Ranadive
12-10-2012, 10:33 PM
Randy Sir:
Wonderful colors,very nice details in browns,tiny water droplets and beautiful water.Lovely composition.Love it.

Regards,
Satish.