PDA

View Full Version : Pure white

John Chardine
12-09-2012, 05:53 AM
This is the difficult to photograph, pure white Snow Petrel. The beautiful and iconic Antarctic bird danced around the vessel and rarely came close. This one was very cooperative on a few occasions.

Cropped to about 50% to show detail around eye and bill, NR on BG and sharpened.

Date: 6 December, 2012, Time: 0907h
Camera: Canon EOS-1D Mark IV
Lens: EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, @ 200 mm
Program: Manual
ISO 800, 1/2500s, f/4
Exp. comp.: 0.0
Flash: off

PS- internet has been non-existant on board the ship so apologies for absence from BPN. Crossing the Drake right now with Wandering and Black-browed Albatrosses close by!

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=2112"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

gail bisson
12-09-2012, 06:46 AM
Hi John,
Terrific closeup view of the bird. Perfect HA and view of the bill.
Tack sharp as well.
I see an orange spot on the right wing. I thought it was dirt on my monitor!!
The snowflakes really add to the shot.
Would love to see this full frame.
Gail

John Chardine
12-09-2012, 07:24 AM
Thanks Gail. The orange spot a some stomach oil coloured pink by the diet-krill. Wandering Albatrosses often show this as a necklace of pink colour.

Jack Breakfast
12-09-2012, 07:55 AM
Many thanks for sharing this dreamy image of a bird who looks like an escapee from a dream. Much like the similarly white-and-black'd fairy tern, these birds hold surreal allure. I would be delighted to see the full-frame capture, if you were willing to share it?

Miguel Palaviccini
12-09-2012, 10:18 AM
Very nice capture you have here. Absolutely love all the white. At first I was inclined to ask for a version where you try to pull out a little more detail, but I think I like it as is. Nailed it!

Wes Aslin
12-09-2012, 11:51 AM
Wow, terrific shot! Nice job getting good catch light in these conditions. I wouldn't change a thing, except maybe that orange spot on the wing.

Roger Clark
12-09-2012, 01:02 PM
Hi John,

Beautiful image and perfectly exposed. Nice subtle tones in the whites.

As this is a 50% crop, it would be nice to see a wider view if no wings were clipped.

Roger

Bill Dix
12-09-2012, 05:17 PM
This is a gorgeous image. Well exposed, and I love the snowy feel. Also like the detail of his tube nose. Yes, I'd love to see the full bird out of curiosity, but then it would lose some of that detail. Well captured.

John Chardine
12-09-2012, 05:22 PM
Thanks everyone. I did indeed clip one of the wings so can't show the whole bird. I really wanted to show the detail of the eye and bill, which as mentioned would be lost or at least reduced with a wider crop.

pat lillich
12-09-2012, 06:25 PM
wow John - beautiful image! you did far better on getting this beautiful bird than I could - beautiful sharp detail on eye and bill.

Tim King
12-09-2012, 08:47 PM
I really like it as is. Just beautiful.

Raymond Lee
12-10-2012, 12:22 AM
Perfect exposure! Amazing details with such a crop.

John Chardine
12-10-2012, 05:59 AM
Thanks again everyone. These are exceedingly difficult birds to capture, not quite as difficult as prions, but up there at the top end of the list of difficult birds in flight. Part of the formula for success as always is getting as close as possible and laying as many pixels as you can over the subject. Snow Petrels rarely come close to the ship so you have to pick you moments.

Re. the pink spot, I would personally never consider removing something like this which tells a little biological story.

Satish Ranadive
12-10-2012, 10:28 PM
Excellent close-up. Nice looking bird,very nicely exposed.
Love the composition and lovely details of beak and eye.I like the snowflakes too.

Regards,
Satish.

Jon Swanson
12-11-2012, 10:38 PM
Lovely image and a great bird to see as well!