PDA

View Full Version : Buggin' Out

Jeff Waugh
12-08-2012, 06:56 PM
Flys are definitely one of the most difficult macro subjects to capture, assuming they are alive as this one is. I do love the color of the compound eyes on this one.
This was photographed with a Canon 5D Mk2, MPE-65mm Macro 1-5x lens, Canon dual macro-flash heads, f/14, 1/200 sec., ISO 100 on a monopod for vertical stability.
Thanks for looking!!

<iframe width="468" scrolling="no" height="60" frameborder="0" style="border:none;" border="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=2516" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0"><p>Your browser does not support iFrame.</p></iframe>

Steve Maxson
12-10-2012, 04:32 PM
Hi Jeff and welcome to the Macro forum! It's good to see another MP-E lens user. You're right that flies can be difficult macro subjects as they often don't cooperate when you try to get close with this lens. I like the detail you captured in those colorful red eyes and you have good sharpness within your DOF. I also like the shooting angle where we're looking slightly up at the face of the fly. For the most part, the flash did a good job of lighting the fly - though some of the yellow on the side of the fly appears blown on my monitor - you might try toning down that area a little. The main issue I have with the image is the background with the combination of bright (and eye-catching) objects on the left and the black on the right. Your image would be much stronger with a more even toned and not so bright background. Getting a pleasing background when using macro flash is often more difficult than photographing the subject itself. You can try balancing the flash output with the background lighting. Another tactic would be to use a print of OOF vegetation as an artificial background. Of course, this isn't always feasible with an active subject like a fly. :S3: I hope to see more of your work here in Macro!

Jerry van Dijk
12-15-2012, 02:01 PM
I like the pose of the fly and the details captured are spectacular. Steve raises some good points about the BG.

Marina Scarr
12-16-2012, 06:56 PM
While I love that close up look and all those details in your subject's face, the BG is truly distracting in this image.

bhavya joshi
12-20-2012, 02:32 AM
Wonderful shot.. Lots of Great details see here... Agree with BG Comments too, as a Main focus fly.. is overall good .. love it.. TFS

Jason Stander
12-23-2012, 12:54 AM
Hi Jeff... welcome... excellent eye mouth detail captured... I like your angle that you captured... I find the image slightly tight on the bottom... agree with Steve on the bg... otherwise you did very well with a very difficult lens to handle... WD!:w3

Bob Miller
01-22-2013, 07:45 PM
jeff...Amazing detail in those eyes! Amazing shot period but the bg is distracting.