PDA

View Full Version : Caspian tern

Jonathan Ashton
12-08-2012, 09:55 AM
Tripod canon 7D Canon 500mm f4 L IS ISO 200 1250 sec f5.6

This shot was taken at Tanji beach, The Gambia.
All comments welcome.

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1718"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Randy Stout
12-08-2012, 10:05 AM
Jon:

That is a pretty big fish for a tern, I haven't seen them haul such a big one out before!

I like the full up wing position, makes it look like he is working hard to fly with the big fish. Well exposed.

For my taste, a sliver more room below might be nice.

Cheers

Randy

David Salem
12-08-2012, 02:49 PM
Nice shot of this Caspian with a big fish. Like the wing position and the wide open beak. Loos like he's trying to reposition the fish in its mouth. Good job on the capture. What I am seeing on its face and coming out of its neck?

Daniel Cadieux
12-08-2012, 08:22 PM
Like Randy I don't recall seeing any tern with such a big fish catch!! Nice action, and I like the wavy water pattern. Good job with the whites.

Raymond Lee
12-08-2012, 09:27 PM
Nice capture of such big fish caught by the tern. I've never seen something like that. Good job on the whites, but the whites look a bit reddish/magentaish on my screen (calibrated), especially the backside of the left wing. Ideally, I wish the shadow on the backside of the left wing isn't there, but it is what it is.

John Cooper
12-08-2012, 09:30 PM
That's an impressive catch Jon - very well captured. (You and the tern)!

Satish Ranadive
12-09-2012, 02:51 AM
Jonathan:
Wonderful moment captured.From the dripping water,it looks like that he has just caught the fish,quite a big one.
Love the full stretch wings,nice details in whites,water droplets and beautiful water.

Regards,
Satish.

Jonathan Ashton
12-09-2012, 05:31 AM
Hi everyone, it's good to be back, glad you liked the image. It is pretty much as caught in camera, I was a little unsure about the white balance, I played around with daylight and also as shot and used as shot and then increased the temp just a little. The image was taken fairly early morning and there was some cloud about. The thing on the neck I would suggest is possibly a fin off the fish, the fish was being repositioned repeatedly, in fact I wasn't too sure at first who was going to win, the fish or the tern. I have some more images of this scenario and will post at a later date. Thanks again for your C&C.

Stu Bowie
12-09-2012, 10:27 AM
Hi John, I like the wing position of the Tern, and thats a fair size catch for a Tern. Whites look good, and I like how the Tern pops from the sea BG. Droplets falling off looks great too.