PDA

View Full Version : Spoonie on Green - Change of Pace

Randy Stout
12-08-2012, 08:42 AM
This spoonie was imaged almost three years ago while wading in Tampa Bay with Capt. James. I liked the green background as a contrast to the usual blue (which I like as well!)

D300 500mm f/4 with TC 14 700mm f/7.1 ISO 400 1/1000s Gitzo/Wimberley

Post: Selective sharpening, cleaned up the water, significant crop

I did a second version with some more intensive post work, to create more dramatic lighting. The second one has a gradient ND applied inferiorly to tone down the reflection a bit.

I would appreciate your input on which you prefer.

Cheers

Randy

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1900"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Randy Stout
12-08-2012, 08:48 AM
Here is the second version. Thanks

Randy

Miguel Palaviccini
12-08-2012, 12:02 PM
Hi Randy. Splendid image! The turned face and detail/sharpness of the eye really draw you in. I especially like the dark (but not black) bg, as it really brings the spoonbill out.

Out of the two images, I like the first one better. I think that while the ND darkens the reflection, it also saturates the colors a bit. In this case, since you are looking to draw attention away from the reflection (or I should say - looking to keep the attention on the spoonbill), I think that the non-ND process works a bit better. With that said, if you hadn't given us an option, I'm not sure I would have told you to show me a brighter reflection.

Miguel

gail bisson
12-08-2012, 04:24 PM
Hi Randy,
I have gone back and forth a few times and I have to go with pane #2. It has a more dramatic feel.
I like the darker saturated colors.
I like the slightly open bill and the distended neck. Did he just swallow something? His neck feathers are erected as if he just swallowed.
Good pose and comp as well,
Gail

PhilCook
12-08-2012, 05:53 PM
Lovely pose this bird has adopted for the camera, very sharp and clear.

Tough choice between 1&2, the difference is only slight so I dont think there is much in it ....but I prefer #1 by a whisker as it just seems to have more crispness = " razzamatazz " :bg3:

Sidharth Kodikal
12-08-2012, 06:26 PM
Hi Randy, beautiful exposure and lovely colors. The pose is great too.
Difference between the two is subtle, but my vote goes to #1.
Very nicely done.

Karl Egressy
12-08-2012, 08:42 PM
Very attractive pose and nice colours, Randy. I like the second version better.

John Cooper
12-08-2012, 09:22 PM
A stunning image Randy and I agree that the pinks of the spoonbill work so well against the green tones of the water. The softer lighting on the head and neck in particular makes me err towards the original post.

Raymond Lee
12-08-2012, 09:43 PM
Both shots are good. I'm leaning more towards the second version with the darker in some parts and more saturated look.

David Salem
12-09-2012, 03:38 AM
I like the second version better. I too like the more saturated look and the pink color in the wing is accentuated. The dark BG makes the head pop nicely against it. Techs look great and lots of detail. Nice.