PDA

View Full Version : Willet bathing

Bill Dix
12-07-2012, 06:32 PM
I promise this is the last Willet for awhile. This one from Little Estero Lagoon several weeks ago. I know he's large in the frame. This is full-frame. He kept moving closer to me, and I was down on the sand with tripod splayed out, difficult to scootch back from him in time. I guess I need a traveling groundpod, or become quicker at removing the TC.

D7000, 500f4 + 1.4 TC, ISO 800, 1/2000s @ f/7.1, tripod.

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1709"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Nancy Bell
12-07-2012, 06:45 PM
I love the stopped action of the water droplets over his back and in the air! The light makes them glisten. Great feather details on the willet and lovely blue water. Agree with you about being a bit close, and also agree how difficult it is to move backwards in the sand on your stomach!

Dennis Zaebst
12-07-2012, 06:53 PM
Great shot Bill! I, as an inveterate tight cropper myself, cannot complain about the closeness of the image.:bg3: I just bought a Skimmer Ground Pod from B&H. I am looking forward to trying it out in January when I am down there. I think it is grossly overpriced, but the thing is extremely well-built and solid.

The water over the back of the Willet looks like ice, and is an attractive aspect of the image. Very nice light too. Well done, and great detail.

wendell westfall
12-07-2012, 08:24 PM
I like tightly cropped images, and this one is a beauty -- droplets, sharp, light . . .

Nick Palmieri
12-07-2012, 09:37 PM
Don't mind the tight crop. The water over his body is just very cool.

Doug Zoern
12-07-2012, 10:19 PM
Bill,
Fascinating image. I'm fascinated with the frozen water.
I would probably remove 5 or 6 of the tiny white spots in the upper left quarter of the image. These are probably OOF drops of water.
These just don't seem to fit with the other water that is so crisp and identifiable.

John Cooper
12-07-2012, 10:53 PM
Hi Bill, another stunning willet image from you - I love the splash of water cascading over his back which is emphasized here by the tight crop. Well done.

Miguel Palaviccini
12-08-2012, 08:10 AM
Wonderful image Bill. I love the frozen water around the body. Nice details throughout and looks like you had some gorgeous light

Gotta get yourself that ground pod! Definitely worth it and much easier to maneuver around with it. I'm working on a DIY write-up which is less than half the cost (but some man hours).

Bill Dix
12-08-2012, 09:01 AM
Wonderful image Bill. I love the frozen water around the body. Nice details throughout and looks like you had some gorgeous light

Gotta get yourself that ground pod! Definitely worth it and much easier to maneuver around with it. I'm working on a DIY write-up which is less than half the cost (but some man hours).

Thanks Miguel. I actually do have a DIY skimmer pod, that I described in a recent post: http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/103803-Juvenile-Sanderling?highlight=

Unfortunately it is very cumbersome and not easy to travel with. What I need is a simple travel version.

Miguel Palaviccini
12-08-2012, 12:10 PM
Thanks Miguel. I actually do have a DIY skimmer pod, that I described in a recent post: http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/103803-Juvenile-Sanderling?highlight=

Unfortunately it is very cumbersome and not easy to travel with. What I need is a simple travel version.

That skimmer pod did the trick for your Sanderling, but I could see it being cumbersome to travel with. I made mine out of an old frisbee, a $10 disc of plastic, some SS screws, and a small aluminum plate. All of the "machining" was done with a regular drill and two different drill bits. It's relatively light and does a fine job with either the Gimbal or Ball head. Send me a PM if you want some photos.

David Salem
12-09-2012, 03:16 AM
Great bathing shot and the frozen water looks like crystal mercury. Exposure and detail are nice.Very cool.