PDA

View Full Version : Which Canon AF Selection Mode is best for Birds in Flight?

Henry Domke
12-06-2012, 11:06 AM
My Canon 5D3 offers me 6 AF Selection Modes.

Any suggestions on which AF Selection Mode I should pick when shooting birds in flight? Here are some possible scenarios:
1. Single medium size bird with pure blue sky background.
2. Single medium size bird flying with a shrubby background.
3. Group of birds with a pure blue sky background.
4. Small bird flying past you on the beach with waves in the background.
5. Medium size bird flying right at you with puffy clouds and blue sky background.

Thanks for any thoughts on this!
Henry

Richard Mc Donald
12-25-2012, 07:55 AM
G'Day Henry, go grab some chips and some Gulls, that should provide you with ample opportunity to try all of the settings till you find one that suits.

Richard

David Stephens
12-25-2012, 10:56 PM
As Richard suggest, it's best to learn this stuff by playing around, but I'll give you some starters.

The BG is your guide for selecting 61-point vs. single-point or single-point expanded. If the birds are close, no matter the BG, then you want single-point or single-point expanded. For groups of birds far away, against a clear blue sky, then the 61-point will work. When a bird gets close, the 61-point can be troublesome because it might focus on the wing instead of the eye and ruin the shot. With ANY contrasty BG, you'll want single-point or single-point expanded (I use expanded) and keep the point on the bird (the eye preferably). I use Program 6 and 3 with Slow reaction to reduce the chances that the camera will grab focus on the BG.

There's no free lunch. With flat BG, like blue sky or clouds, unless you can stop down a bunch, you'll need single-point to get the eye in focus. With contrasty BGs, you'll need single-point to avoid locking onto the BG.

Have fun, experiment and learn from trying.

Jim Neiger
12-26-2012, 12:11 AM
Henry,

I would use center point focus only with no expansion for each of scenarios. I would set tracking sensitivity to SLOW and override the tracking sensitivity delay when need to return focus to the subject by bumping the focus. Here are my reasons for each scenario:

1. Single Af point gives you more control over what part of the bird you focus on and allows you to be prepared for a change in scenario that brings a more complicated bg.
2. Same as 1 plus helps you avoid focusing on the bg. If you do focus on bg, bump focus will return focus to bird with no delay.
3. Allows you to select which bird you focus on giving you control over framing or your field of focus in relation to the group of birds.
4. Helps avoid focusing on bg. If you do focus on bg, bump focus will return focus to bird with no delay.
5. Allows you to focus on front of head which is needed for a bird coming at you and not very small in frame.

Henry Domke
12-26-2012, 07:55 AM
I would use center point focus only with no expansion for each of scenarios. I would set tracking sensitivity to SLOW and override the tracking sensitivity delay when need to return focus to the subject by bumping the focus.
Jim,
Thank you. Your answer is VERY helpful and specific. I was not familiar with the term "bump focus" so I did a google search for it and found a great explanation of it on this forum. For anyone else who does not know what bump focus is, click here (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/1949-Bumping-the-focus-for-BIF).