PDA

View Full Version : Geese

Cheryl Slechta
12-05-2012, 06:49 PM
Just three geese (I think immature Snow geese - hopefully someone will correct me if not) all taking a snooze. I used a very slight Topaz Buz Sim on it.
Thanks for looking. Comments and suggestions appreciated.:S3:

Dennis Bishop
12-05-2012, 08:42 PM
This is too precious for words -- three lined up like that and the closest with its eye half open. I really like the blue of the water, but I'd be tempted to use a warming Photo Filter adjustment layer and mask it off everything but the geese with a very soft brush. It would warm up the feathers -- especially the white ones -- and give a bit more warm/cool contrast.

Do you know Wynken, Blynken, and Nod? Some lines from it, combined with this image, would be great for the Framing Your Image with Words forum, I think.

Steve Adkins
12-05-2012, 08:43 PM
Cheryl, Wonderful comp and subject. That one open eye really got me!! :S3:

Cheryl Slechta
12-05-2012, 09:18 PM
Dennis, thanks. I like your idea of a warming filter - I used one from PS5. Is this what you had in mind? Or warmer? Also, thanks for the Framing Your Image nudge - I'll work on it tomorrow:S3:

This is too precious for words -- three lined up like that and the closest with its eye half open. I really like the blue of the water, but I'd be tempted to use a warming Photo Filter adjustment layer and mask it off everything but the geese with a very soft brush. It would warm up the feathers -- especially the white ones -- and give a bit more warm/cool contrast.

Do you know Wynken, Blynken, and Nod? Some lines from it, combined with this image, would be great for the Framing Your Image with Words forum, I think.

Dennis Bishop
12-05-2012, 10:07 PM
Dennis, thanks. I like your idea of a warming filter - I used one from PS5. Is this what you had in mind? Or warmer? . . .

I think that's great, although leaving it off the reflections would work, too.

gary ellwein
12-05-2012, 11:59 PM
Well done Cheryl, finding these three isolated with a clean bg was a neat trick. I love the subtle coloration of the juvenile snows. Being on the steep portion of the learning curve, it may be a while before I have a constructive suggestion.

Jay Sheinfield
12-06-2012, 05:55 AM
Very nicely done, Cheryl. The warming was s good thought. Love the have-open eye!

Cheryl Slechta
12-06-2012, 07:02 AM
Hi, Gary, judging by your Bosque Blur I think you've got lot's to offer:S3: I had a really hard time with my shorter lenses getting any isolation but these were very cooperative (and close). I had been shooting them from the right and finally had the revelation to move to the left - this was taken from the left. (Sometimes it's hard for me to change once I've gotten started on something. And at Bosque you sometimes can't find another spot!).

Well done Cheryl, finding these three isolated with a clean bg was a neat trick. I love the subtle coloration of the juvenile snows. Being on the steep portion of the learning curve, it may be a while before I have a constructive suggestion.

denise ippolito
12-06-2012, 08:05 AM
Great job with the capture. I like the way the first goose has an open eye. I like Dennis' idea for your Framing Images forum :)

Nancy Bell
12-06-2012, 01:06 PM
Amazing composition, Cheryl! And as everyone has mentioned, the half-open eye is the clincher! Santa Claus may bring me a new monitor, but on this one bits of the breasts of the geese seem hot. I should mention having all 3 geese in the exact same plumage is also amazing. So well done!

Cheryl Slechta
12-06-2012, 02:46 PM
Thanks, Nancy. The hot spots are from the Topaz. I checked the original and it's great. (I think your monitor is fine - the posted ones are a little toasty on mine also:S3:)

Amazing composition, Cheryl! And as everyone has mentioned, the half-open eye is the clincher! Santa Claus may bring me a new monitor, but on this one bits of the breasts of the geese seem hot. I should mention having all 3 geese in the exact same plumage is also amazing. So well done!

Dennis Bishop
12-06-2012, 04:33 PM
Thanks, Nancy. The hot spots are from the Topaz. I checked the original and it's great. (I think your monitor is fine - the posted ones are a little toasty on mine also:S3:)

The warming filter would've added to whatever clipping you got from Simplify. I'm not sure I fully understand why, but I've seen it happen, before.

Anita Bower
12-07-2012, 01:59 PM
This image made me smile. Three in a row. How orderly and sweet. I like both versions (minus the hot spots). Sweet image.

Andrew McLachlan
12-09-2012, 07:08 PM
Hi Cheryl, that is great...love the one eye open and the three in a row comp