PDA

View Full Version : The Perch

Doug Schurman
12-04-2012, 03:20 AM
About 40 minutes after I took the photo of the "Barking" Short-eared Owl that I posted a couple days ago I took this photo of a Snowy Owl. This was at Boundary Bay, British Columbia. It was about 45 minutes before sunset and the light was really soft. The Owl was a ways out on the tidal areas. I took this shot from quite a ways (exif says focus distance was 96 yards). Since the Owl has recently traveled a long ways I did not want to take a chance on disturbing it. These owls will probably hang around this area until March or April.

My favorite thing about this shot was the perch. I just love it.

1D4 600mm with 2X at 1,200mm f8 1/250 iso 800 on tripod manual exposure, basic raw edits in Lightroom

<iframe width="468" scrolling="no" height="60" frameborder="0" style="border:none;" border="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=2456" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0"><p>Your browser does not support iFrame.</p></iframe>

John Cooper
12-04-2012, 03:56 AM
This composition has the lot Doug - A superb capture at that distance. Good pose by the owl sitting on that killer perch and I love the warm tones on the lower portion of the owl complementing the warm BG. A bit more turn of the head to see more of that partly obscured eye would have been the icing on the cake, but superb as is!

christopher galeski
12-04-2012, 04:45 AM
Ditto on comments above,well done.

Daniel Cadieux
12-04-2012, 08:59 AM
Beautiful comp and perch, sweet light. Although the sidelight works, moving to your right and waiting for a head angle where both eyes are lit wold have been neat. Still a very appealing image, looking forward to more!

Jack Breakfast
12-04-2012, 09:57 AM
A spectacular shot in all ways. The composition, light, and yes yes, that magnificent perch. Most importantly: you are to be commended for keeping your distance. The things people do for snowy owl photos! Baiting them with mice and then bragging about it! Truly despicable, and there is no excuse for it. Further commendations for knowing that your closeby presence would have disturbed the owl and mentioning it in your post.

Shawn Zierman
12-04-2012, 02:32 PM
The light quality is excellent and the composition is pleasing. I like the layers going on
in the background. I agree about the head angle...I'd rather see more of both eyes or
have the owl's face turned so only the one eye showed...sharpness is excellent for
that much focal length at 1/250. Good long lens technique.

Shawn Zierman
12-04-2012, 02:34 PM
"The things people do for snowy owl photos! Baiting them with mice and then bragging about it!"

Orrrr....feeding them while taking pictures, then being honest about it, because nothing "truly despicable" took place:w3 (imo).

gail bisson
12-04-2012, 02:58 PM
This is lovely.
The light and the perch are "to die for".
Love the BG as well.
Agree about the eye but that is a very minor issue ( for me). Outstanding shot and congrats,
Gail

Doug Schurman
12-04-2012, 03:16 PM
Thank you all for the review and comments.

I'm glad the sun angle was brought up. I was thinking about it and I got in line as much as I could. There was some swampy marsh farther to my right that I wasn't prepared to go into. The whole time I could hear Artie in my head telling me to point my shadow at the owl. He drilled this into me in April of this year when I had the great fortune to spend a few days with him.

Also, I total agree about the head angle. I did have a head angle straight on by I didn't get the whole perch in that shot. I looked at the two photos in photoshop as layers and it appears within the few minutes between, the lighting had changed a bit. I'm not sure my skills are up to changing the Owl and blending the background. However, I will try because it should be a great learning exercise.

dankearl
12-04-2012, 03:28 PM
Very Nice Doug and while I commend you for staying back, you were close enough.
Snowies are not shrinking violets, for those concerned, there were hundreds of people surrounding the Owls at Ocean SHores last winter
and the Owls stayed and did not seem bothered.
I saw the Owl on the Oregon Coast get flushed by birders and Photographers on the Oregon coast last week.
It did not seem to bother the Owl in the least, it is still there with a couple of others that have joined it.
If you walk on the beach and disturb Seagulls, is that harrassment?
I don't think so, birds can be approached to photograph carefully and I personally do not consider photographers harrassing the birds by taking photos.
Harrassement is chasing them, shooting them, etc., it is possible to enjoy nature by viewing birds and animals up close.
Are photo safari's in Africa harrassment?
Not to my mind.

Doug Schurman
12-04-2012, 04:23 PM
Hey Dan,

Thanks for the review.

Regarding harassment, it is a really tricky issue to discuss and not really something we can address in the critique forum. However I would like to explain a little more of my thinking. The Snowy Owls when they arrive from the Arctic have usually lost a significant amount of fat reserves. They are also in a new area and may need to adapt to hunt different prey than they are used too like gull and ducks. For that reason I feel like it is good to give them extra room in the first couple months until they have built back up and are more accustomed to the environment. By the end of December personally I would feel more comfortable approaching to about half the distance I was at.

Last year in February I was out at Ocean Shores. I went out to a solo owl that was at the farthest point out. No one else was around. My wife and I approached and settled about 50 yards from the bird. We were kneeing down taking pictures. During the time we were there the Owl spotted prey, flew out and caught it and returned to the perch. I felt great about the situation not only because I was able to be there to observe but also because the Owl had so little concern over us that it carried on with its normal behavior.

Greg Oakley
12-04-2012, 05:19 PM
Stunning shot Doug - what an impressive bird,
Cheers Greg

Robert Holguin
12-04-2012, 06:40 PM
Beautiful shot.
I really love the perch, wonderful background, exposed very well, great comp, and very nice light.
Very well done.

Jack Breakfast
12-04-2012, 06:45 PM
Hey Dan,

Thanks for the review.

Regarding harassment, it is a really tricky issue to discuss and not really something we can address in the critique forum. However I would like to explain a little more of my thinking. The Snowy Owls when they arrive from the Arctic have usually lost a significant amount of fat reserves. They are also in a new area and may need to adapt to hunt different prey than they are used too like gull and ducks. For that reason I feel like it is good to give them extra room in the first couple months until they have built back up and are more accustomed to the environment. By the end of December personally I would feel more comfortable approaching to about half the distance I was at.

Last year in February I was out at Ocean Shores. I went out to a solo owl that was at the farthest point out. No one else was around. My wife and I approached and settled about 50 yards from the bird. We were kneeing down taking pictures. During the time we were there the Owl spotted prey, flew out and caught it and returned to the perch. I felt great about the situation not only because I was able to be there to observe but also because the Owl had so little concern over us that it carried on with its normal behavior.

You're quite right, it's a discussion for another forum, not to be had on your post, and I'm sorry if I (unintentionally) opened a can of worms. Baiting owls is something I see often and I find it very troubling, to say the least, but I don't pretend to be a guardian of all the world's owls! Forgive my outburst. Great photo!!!!

Diane Miller
12-04-2012, 08:05 PM
I think this could pass for a Robert Bateman! The perch and the mix of OOF and sharp grasses right at the base are wonderful! (The owl is incredible, too, of course!)What would anyone think about burning down the lightest piece of the perch, right at the bottom edge? It keeps pulling my eye because it is so like the owl -- it almost looks as though it might be another animal.

David Salem
12-05-2012, 12:10 AM
Very nice shot Doug. The light was beautiful that evening. The whole scene is great and I love the perch with the green algae on it. Great natural BG with the water. Nice work.

PhilCook
12-06-2012, 01:31 AM
Lover that pose and such lovely pastel colors in this image....enviable !