PDA

View Full Version : Sunset from the Beach

Mike Landwehr
12-03-2012, 11:05 PM
A winter sunset at the beach near the Naples, Florida municipal fishing pier. I cropped the image to a more panoramic aspect ratio, then flipped the image horizontally. Also cloned out a couple of small clouds at the upper edge. Any C & C appreciated.

1D Mark II N
28-135 at 28 mm
1/80 @ f/16
ISO 100
Tripod

<iframe width="468" scrolling="no" height="60" frameborder="0" style="border:none;" border="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=2458" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0"><p>Your browser does not support iFrame.</p></iframe>

Don Railton
12-05-2012, 08:44 PM
Love the 3D effect you have with the clouds Mike... Quite spectacular. I'm think I might like a touch more detail (light) on the pier although I would be pretty happy with it as it is. Have you thought of blending in a lighter version to lighten the pier & lower left hand side..?

DON

Morkel Erasmus
12-06-2012, 02:02 AM
I don't mind the silhouetted pier here, Mike, as I think we tend to 'blend' and 'HDR' quite too often. This is a nice simplistic variation. I would add some pop to the colours, sky and overall exposure (looks a tad flat/underexposed) here.

Stopping down to f22 would have ensure a better sunstar.
:Whoa!:

Mike Landwehr
12-07-2012, 03:14 PM
Don and Morkel, thanks for your comments. Don, as I processed this image, I looked at a version with some additional light on the pier, but decided I preferred the pier as a silhouette. I flipped the image to place the pier on the left, thinking it would help lead the eye into the sunset, which I consider the subject of the image. I felt any detail on the pier would draw attention away from the sky. Just a personal preference on this image. It could be done either way. Morkel, I never even considered trying to create a sunstar! What little I ended up with was accidental. I wish I had thought of it at the time--I think it would look sweet in this image. Thanks for the idea.

Morkel Erasmus
12-08-2012, 03:14 PM
No worries, Mike. I never shoot with a wide angle into the sun at any f-stop smaller than 16 to ensure sunstars...but best results I've found to be at around f22

Anette Mossbacher
12-13-2012, 04:40 AM
Hi Mike, looks great to me. I might would add a bit more sharpening to the pier. Love that one in the image. Clouds and sun are great. Might can add a bit more contrast to the clouds to pop out more. But this is just me. :2eyes2:

have a great day Ciao Anette

Roman Kurywczak
12-17-2012, 11:54 AM
Hey Mike,
I like the silhouette so works for me. Good advice for both in the field and possible tweaking....but overall....works for me.