PDA

View Full Version : Gloomy Seascape

Morkel Erasmus
12-03-2012, 05:26 PM
I don't get to the ocean often these days. For some reason I prefer to take vacations to places where there are dangerous animals about, I'm not sure why :w3:eek3:.
When I do get there, I don't often get great weather for some seascapes...but I shoot anyway...:tinysmile_shy_t:

This is from a road-trip to see some family of ours back in early 2011 on the South African "Wild Coast". The colours were rendered to reflect my experience/recollection of the conditions that morning (hence the cold/blue feel). The rocks had a slight magenta tone to them, but I might tone it down depending on the feedback I get here.

I am just back from a safari to the Kalahari and will do my best to catch up on the recent posts ASAP...

Techs:
Canon 7D with 10-22mm USM @ 10mm
f16 @ ISO-100
Blend of 2 exposures

Rachel Hollander
12-05-2012, 08:05 PM
Hi Morkel - I don't know, this one just isn't doing it for me. I'm not sure if it's the coolness, the perspective or the flatness of the rocks. Sorry.

TFS,
Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
12-06-2012, 01:20 AM
Thanks Rachel. I liked the leading lines and the gloomy mood, but will be the first to admit that it's not my strongest scape. Trolling the archives to post as I really have not had a good year for shooting landscapes :e3.

Rachel Hollander
12-06-2012, 06:54 AM
Trolling the archives to post as I really have not had a good year for shooting landscapes :e3.

Maybe, but you've had a great one for wildlife :S3:

Morkel Erasmus
12-06-2012, 09:36 AM
Maybe, but you've had a great one for wildlife :S3:

Trudat. Word. :tinysmile_shy_t:
spoken in my best ghetto accent

Mark Wiseman
12-16-2012, 05:05 PM
Hi Morkel,
To answer your question, it is the adrenalin release you get together with the highly addictive release of endorphins when Mafusa jnr walks by and gives you a wink. I agree with Rachel with regards to your image. Technically there is not much wrong, maybe a b&w conversion would add more mood.
TFS and best wishes,
Mark.
:cheers:

Roman Kurywczak
12-17-2012, 11:52 AM
Hey Morkel,
I do think you could work this one up a bit. Try lightening the FG rocks and seaweed and even give it a touch of saturation boost. Tame the blues in the MG a bit and then try a multiplied layer on the sky to really make them ominous. Just throwing some thoughts out for you to try out on a dreary day.