Metering Mode = Pattern
Flash = Flash fired, compulsory flash mode, return light not detected
Sensing Method = One-chip color area sensor
Exposure Mode = Auto exposure
White Balance = Auto white balance
Focal Length In 35mm Film = 157mm
Lens = Nikkor 105.0 mm f/2.8 VR
Tripod, Strobela difuser.

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=2041"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Steve Maxson
12-05-2012, 09:19 AM
Hi Adrian. This is an interesting subject with good comp and exposure and I like the ground level viewing angle. You have good sharpness where you most need it - along the leading edge of the caps. It's a matter of taste, but my preference would be for more DOF on the mushrooms. :S3: The drawback, of course, is that more DOF would bring up too much detail in the background. In that case you would likely need to do some blurring of the background in PP. It will be interesting to hear what others have to say in that regard.

Jonathan Ashton
12-10-2012, 04:53 AM
Adrian, these small mushrooms always pose problems in relation to composition. Very often some solutions suggested (including mine) are not always practicable but nevertheless can be borne in mind for future scenarios.
My suggestions - and I appreciate you may well have already considered this, would be to get lower, maybe even inclining the lens slightly skywards, this would help to isolate the mushrooms, I would also agree with Steve a smaller aperture would have been beneficial. At this magnification I would imagine f16 might have been better.

Marina Scarr
12-16-2012, 06:52 PM
Steve and Jonathan brought up good points above. Not an easy subject and you had a tough background. The mushrooms look pretty good until you get to the top one and there's quite a bit of distortion there. The background also takes away from your subject. You might consider a vertical crop for this one.

Alan Lillich
12-30-2012, 02:46 PM
Having just spent a couple of hours with some mushrooms in my yard I agree with all about the difficulty. I think you've done very well on the basic composition. I would be inclined to crop about 1/3 off the right, to the edge of the light brown rock on the bottom. That leaves almost a square, maybe a little off the left to get Marina's vertical. I get Jonathan's suggestion, but lower would be trading the underside for the cap. Could be better or worse. As is, I like the way the caps are set against the grey rock, especially the rightmost one. I also would like to see more of the caps sharp, but think stopping down might sharpen the background too much. Since you were on a tripod, I wonder if focus stacking would do the trick.

Bob Miller
01-22-2013, 07:49 PM
Adrian....Nice shot but IMHO it really needs a simpler bg to set off the mushrooms. I suggest an OOF print of some contrasting color.