PDA

View Full Version : A New Beginning A New Hope

Don Lacy
12-02-2012, 08:43 PM
Tracks from a female Loggerhead Turtle lead back to the sea for me symbolizing a new beginning and hope for the next generation of Loggerheads. We just finished a record nesting season for all three species of turtles who call our shores home with biologist believing this is one of the first generations to mature and return to nest since the regulations put into place to save them were enacted. My hope is that this is the case and the number of nest this year will become the new normal.

1DMKIII, 17-40 at 22mm, 20s at f/16, Manual, Evaluative Metered, cloned out human foot steps in the sand and extended the ocean to meet the tracks, in the original there is a gap were the tracks end and the water begins. I usually do not do this much manipulation to my images but I felt in order to make the statement I wanted to make the tracks had to lead to the sea.

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1804"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Morkel Erasmus
12-03-2012, 08:42 AM
I like the 'message' here Don, and the soft light with the pastel hues on the horizon, with the turtle tracks leading into the ocean.
Before reading your explanation on your workflow I thought that the ocean/sand meeting line looked weird. How did you do the extension work and how did you go about masking the effects of it?

Don Lacy
12-03-2012, 09:01 AM
I like the 'message' here Don, and the soft light with the pastel hues on the horizon, with the turtle tracks leading into the ocean.
Before reading your explanation on your workflow I thought that the ocean/sand meeting line looked weird. How did you do the extension work and how did you go about masking the effects of it?
I just cloned it in from the original line and used the opacity slider to soften it. I think I got the look of the long exposure right not so sure about the line across the frame to me it feels kind of off, lets see what others think I really want this image to work.

Daniel Cadieux
12-03-2012, 06:30 PM
At first I thought it was mist covering the sand, that is the impression it gave me. I too like the message of the image. Although I like the result, I'm wondering if took some with a faster SS where the water/sand merger is more defined?

Don Lacy
12-03-2012, 08:54 PM
At first I thought it was mist covering the sand, that is the impression it gave me. I too like the message of the image. Although I like the result, I'm wondering if took some with a faster SS where the water/sand merger is more defined?
Daniel thank you for your comment while a faster shutter speed would have resulted in a more define shoreline the reason I use the longer shutter speeds is to achieve that ethereal look. The more I look at this the more I think I have to redo the cloning of the shoreline or figure out another technique to achieve what l want.

Marina Scarr
12-16-2012, 06:39 PM
Absolutely LOVE the story behind this image and the various layers. If it were mine, I might try to tweek the sky just a tad more.

Roman Kurywczak
12-17-2012, 11:49 AM
Hey Don,
Love the story and the ethereal look. Some additional thoughts to try....try matching the tonality of the water near the horizon to that in the FG.....the transition seems a bit abrupt. I think that marina's suggestion would then give the final touch on a very creative image with great mood!