PDA

View Full Version : A fine pair of wood ducks along the early morning waterways

Jack Breakfast
12-01-2012, 08:08 PM
Hello then,

Here is a picture from last month which perhaps might please you. Regardless, I will be interested to hear your thoughts and opinions. Taken with the Canon 7D an 70-300L at 300mm, iso800, 1/320, f5.6. I hope all is well with all who find this picture. December is here...the winterducks have returned to my neck of the woods and the waterways will not contain these colors again for some time!

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1777"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Randy Stout
12-01-2012, 08:48 PM
Jack:

Soft light, good saturation of feather colors. The water looks a bit too saturated, but certainly it may be perfectly accurate for that spot.

My main concern are the head positions. Whether they are preening or sleeping, seeing a bit more of the heads would be a plus.

Cheers

Randy

Jack Breakfast
12-01-2012, 09:05 PM
Thanks Randy, I disagree RE the head positions and find their poses to be very interesting as they are, and in fact I have many pictures from this series where more of their heads are visible! But of course I can see your point; commonly people like to see much more of a head, and there's nothing wrong with that! More importantly, you are right to point out the possible oversaturation of the water, but indeed that's just how the water looked. You know how fall water colors can be in the early morning...

John Cooper
12-01-2012, 10:00 PM
What a gorgeous setting Jack - loving the perch & its reflection and of course the beautiful cool & warm tones reflected in the water. I'm with Randy though in wanting to see more of the duck's heads.

Jack Breakfast
12-01-2012, 10:01 PM
Thanks John, I'm quite sure I have a frame with the two ducks looking right at me but I found this one more magical, although I can't quite articulate why. Without subjectivity in art we'd all be dead in the water. Must dig up those other frames though, and have a closer look. Many thanks for writing in!

Robert Holguin
12-02-2012, 01:28 AM
Very nice shot Jack.
Lovely colors, I really like the perch, and the texture of the water in the background.
I dont mind the pose on the left duck, but do wish for a slight more head view on the right duck.
Its a different perspective and a great view of their plumage.
Well done.

PhilCook
12-02-2012, 03:31 AM
I can see you point regarding not having the heads in clear view, it adds a certain sense of sleepy serenity to the shot I think. Loving the colors in this Jack, it's what really catches my eye....the " Midas Touch " Must admit to not being overly fond of the leaves so close to the left hand duck though, but as I say the colors are magic

Randy Stout
12-02-2012, 10:47 AM
Jack:

I am all for different interpretations of scenes/subjects. I do think some interpretations are more effective than others. For me, this shot might work very well in combination with an image showing more of the heads, part of a sequence.

Keep pushing the boundaries! Thats how we learn and grow!

Cheers

Randy

David Salem
12-02-2012, 01:25 PM
Jack, I find myself gravitating to shots like this but feel that most wont "get it" so they are not ones that I post to often. A sleeping bird without a head showing or a flight shot with a pose that is not the norm. The feel and mood of the scene and the unique subject position may be the premise to a artful shot. If you are a naturalist, and sit with animals in their environment, scenes like this are etched in your mind. I like it.

Jack Breakfast
12-02-2012, 06:50 PM
Randy: your point RE a series or sequence is smart and well-taken. Many thanks, I agree wholeheartedly. David Salem: When I sit with animals in their environment I feel peaceful and purposeful. The rest of the time, not as much. Many thanks for your bolstering comments, they are very much appreciated.