PDA

View Full Version : Beachmaster seal showing power

Andreas Liedmann
11-29-2012, 03:22 PM
Hey folks another ellie of the southern ocean.
This female wanted to get away from the big Daddy ........... no chance.

Canon EOS 1D MK IV
EF 24- 105 IS L at 65 mm
HH

F 11 ; ISO 320 ; 1/320 sec

FF processed in RPP and PS ; removed some distracting elements in BG

Thanks for watching and leaving comment.

Cheers Andreas

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1667"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Rachel Hollander
11-29-2012, 04:28 PM
Hi Andreas - this may be my favorite of the series. Nice pov, interesting pose, the penguins add a tiny bit of color but are not a distraction. Well processed and well presented.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
11-29-2012, 05:02 PM
Hi Andreas, well for me I prefer the previous one, but it's good to see we all see things differently.

Can't comment too much on colour, however i'm not a lover of the plain white of the snow with little detail, nothing you could have done sadly. If you had the SS you could have done a multiple exposure (bracketing) then merged in PS? I think it does illustrate what a wild and barren landscape this place is. Nicely composed and I like the mouth open, shows how these males are so dominant. Could have upped the ISO a bit more. Just waiting for the 'fish eye' lens shot. :bg3:

TFS
Steve

Andreas Liedmann
11-29-2012, 05:56 PM
Thanks Rachel and Steve , good to hear your thoughts about my images.

Steve - sadly no fish eye, these guys are too big for me to battle......, and in this situations i forget about bracketing etc..Was surrounded by by a lot of other seals in my back (beachside).

Best i could with the whites without looking greyed out,as far as i am able to process.

Thanks again Andreas

Clemens Vanderwerf
11-29-2012, 09:35 PM
Andreas,

I would have pointed the camera up a little and eliminated about a 1/3 of the grey sand at the bottom. The bkgd is fine with me, and I see enough detail in the whites of the snow. I do not see why you would need more detail there, since it is a background that should not distract from the main subject. As such it should be without detail to some extent. For me the subjects are too dark and could benefit from a bit of extra light to put more emphasis on them.

Clemens

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
11-30-2012, 01:08 AM
Excellent capture Andreas, I like the imposing ellie and the scores of penguins in the BG and the nice landscape. Very well done.

Andreas Liedmann
11-30-2012, 11:23 AM
Thanks Clemens and Sanjeev appreciate your comments.

Clemens - think you are right and raising good points .

Andreas

Morkel Erasmus
12-03-2012, 08:44 AM
It must be tough being a young male seal in these colonies...good behaviour captured here at a nice angle. Darks seem well exposed. I don't mind the snow in the BG too much, but then again I've never seen or photographed snow, so what do I know?