PDA

View Full Version : The Storm Approaches: Pertito Moreno Glacier

Jay Gould
11-28-2012, 04:45 PM
The Storm Approaches: Perito Moreno Glacier, El Calafate, Argentina

The Perito Moreno Glacier is a glacier located in the Los Glaciares National Park in the south west of Santa Cruz province, Argentina.

This glacier is on the bucket list of anyone visiting El Calafate - approx 2 hours away.

On our designated day as we were driving to the Glacier, we could see the storm approaching. Although at the beginning of our visit we were in the sun as you can see from the shadows in the foreground, all **** was going to break loose shortly!

I am looking forward to spending the month of Jan '13 in El Calafate photographing Patagonia.

This is a 4 horizontal image stitched in CS6. Like Steve Sieren, I am loath to post images with Hand of Man elements; however, in this case 1) I could not easily remove the elements, and 2) they do give prospective to the enormity of the Glacier.

Canon 5D2; 24-105@32mm; 1/640@f/11; ISO 800

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=2098"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Roman Kurywczak
11-29-2012, 01:05 PM
Hey Jay,
I know you love bold colors :) but even though I have seen ice this blue....but maybe a bit too cyan? In any case, I did the old browser crop.....eliminating the FG and dark cave on the left above trees......works for me better this way and makes a very cool pano! That makes 2 of us who have to get on bpn a bit more!

Jay Gould
11-29-2012, 01:27 PM
Hey Jay,
I know you love bold colors :) but even though I have seen ice this blue....but maybe a bit too cyan? In any case, I did the old browser crop.....eliminating the FG and dark cave on the left above trees......works for me better this way and makes a very cool pano! That makes 2 of us who have to get on bpn a bit more!

I am glad you raised "that makes 2 of us.......". I did a quick look through the last few months, and compared it to a year or two ago. What has happened to the Landscape Forum? Very little posting, those that are posted receive views and very very few critiques, and while I am not looking for trouble, it has to be said that their has been a very substantial increase in the landscape postings and critiques on another site that I play in.

This image received a lot of critique over there :S3: as a result of which I am going to reprocess the whole image. I recently purchased Sean Bagshaw's two-set processing videos and after I watch them I will reprocess this image.

I looked at the suggested crop - nope! Horses for courses. While I had the foreground because of the Hand of Man - especially that ridiculous structure on the LHS - to remove the foreground as suggested converts the glacier from a very high field of ice compared to the people that provide perspective, to just another field of ice.

I am toying with the idea of eliminating the LHS big structure or dodging it to almost oblivion.

Thanks for commenting; looking forward to playing together here on BPN.

The critique and posting numbers need to substantially increase back to their old levels!!

Roman Kurywczak
11-29-2012, 01:46 PM
I think eliminating the structure will go along way as that is the major distraction in the FG.

I have noticed the numbers as well. I don't think people realize how important it is to comment on others images and how much they will learn. I am a bit surprised that some come in here and drop an image without so much as commenting on others........but quickly comment on their own post. Even some that should know better:Whoa!:. It is frustrating to say the least. I have just ran out of time due to my schedule but I hope others who come and post also participate to take full advantage of the site!!! Or it could just be that they miss me:bg3:.

Still looking forward to having that port with you:cheers:.

Rachel Hollander
11-29-2012, 03:42 PM
Hi Jay - certainly looks like a massive glacier and I sort of like the people in it to give it that sense of scale, though I can do without the big orange structure so I am looking forward to seeing how you decide to handle that. Nice job on the stitching. My only question is on the blues, not of the ice, but creeping into the surrounding mountains and the area at the far side of the glacier.

I agree with both yours and Roman's comments that participation in this forum has dropped off substantially and many people seem to post but not comment on anyone else's images. I have learned more from being an ACTIVE participant on BPN than from any book, workshop, etc. Let's hope we can liven it up a bit around here.

TFS,
Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
12-05-2012, 09:03 AM
Looks like a grand scene here, Jay! That is one massive glacier. I love vibrant and bold colours too, but feel that the ice looks a tad too psychedelic/HDR here...shouldn't be too hard to tone that down without losing contrast and depth in the ice.

The human element adds a lot for me here, as does the implied diagonal meeting point of the lines of mountains on either side. Patagonia/South America is high on my landscape-travel wishlist.

In any event - I am looking forward to seeing your repost post-implementation of Sean Bagshaw's tutorials, I love his processing look-and-feel and it can only be a good influence.
:5

I feel your frustration on the 'condition' of the landscape forum. I am partly guilty in that I don't always critique immediately but I also like to leave posts a little so that others can chime in first. Robert is taking some personal time so I am the only mod actively watching this forum. I agree that people need to be reminded that the value of BPN lies in the active and constructive to-and-fro of critique.