PDA

View Full Version : Good catch

Ignacio Yufera
11-28-2012, 02:09 PM
Black bear with a fresh catch; I believe this is a Chinook salmon. Gribbell Island, BC, during the October salmon run (Chas Glatzer's Spirit Bears workshop)

This whole trip was quite a challenge in terms of shutter speed and ISO, with constant overcast and often very dark conditions.

Canon 1D MkIV, Canon 500 II, 1/160 @ f/4, ISO 1000

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1642"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Jamie Douglas
11-28-2012, 11:05 PM
Nice work Ignacio. The bear looks like he is trying to figure out if you are going steal his fish or not.

Processing wise this looks good and you have kept colours looking natural. Maybe a touch too much NR IMO, most noticeable with the lack of detail on the RHS by the sandbank. Looks a tad too smooth for my tastes. But like I said, for my tastes. With the strong NR there are traces of masking evident around the top of the bear's head which could be cleaned up.

Crituqe aside, this is an image I'd be proud to own and expereince that I assume will stay with you forever.

Good call on the techs and I might have tried increasing the ISO to 1250 and bumping up the aperture to 5.6 to try and sqeeze more detail out of the fur.

Congrats

Roman Kurywczak
11-29-2012, 12:31 PM
Challenging situation indeed! I think this turned out well. I may be tempted to tone down the few brighter leaves in the BG. Good suggestions above on bumping the ISO for a touch more DOF as well. Always tricky in those situations. Nicely done overall.

Andreas Liedmann
11-29-2012, 03:47 PM
Hi ignacio
like the image as presented , you handled the difficult contrasts and light situation quite good.
Like the natural looking colors.
Comp works good with a good eye contact and the catch in the fang is a very nice plus !!!!!

TFS Andreas

Morkel Erasmus
12-04-2012, 04:07 PM
It's great to see a black bear posted that's not appearing blue overall :w3. Nice behaviour and good use of space to "set the scene", Ignacio.
Blacks well handled and overall IQ looks good. Feels like I could be standing right there next to you...

Gen Benjamin
12-12-2012, 04:05 PM
Lovely image, great depth of field on the bear with him sharp front to back. Fish and waters droplets add so much to this as doest the composition. Wonderful image