PDA

View Full Version : Needham's Skimmer

Don Lacy
04-25-2008, 04:36 PM
My first decent DF image this year I wish I could have worked in closer to get her bigger in the frame but this was as close as she would let me get, next time I will have to bring the 500 macro :D

40D, 300 f/4 + 25mm ext tube, 1/50 @ f/9, manual mode, evaluative metered - 2/3, flash with diffuser on manual for fill, raw, iso 400, tripod, cropped to about 70% of original.

Robert O'Toole
04-25-2008, 04:49 PM
Sharp and the BG is nice and smooth, lighting is excellent, perfect usage of flash, not to strong or overpowering.

I cant help think that I wish those buds were flowers though!

Dflies are so interesting to work with. They are very sensitive at certain distances like a ring, beyond, or inside of that ring and you can pet them. Also they see movement and dont really see shapes if you stay still or move very slowly.

That said some species just plain avoid people.

Robert

Mike Moats
04-25-2008, 08:37 PM
Hey Don, this came out really nice. excellent details while maintaining a nice BG.

John Cooper
04-25-2008, 09:36 PM
An interesting perspective Don showing a profile of the dragonflies body. Good detail, exposure and composition.
The soft green BG was a bonus!

Vincent Grafhorst
04-26-2008, 03:26 AM
Lovely image Don and IMO it is large enough in the frame, since now the plant is part of the composition, which IMO is often more interesting than only a close up of the DF.

Fabs Forns
04-26-2008, 03:30 PM
Well composed, god flow to the perch. Wish the buds were alive and the wings on a different position Flawless exposure..