PDA

View Full Version : Spring Robin

John Knight
04-25-2008, 03:07 PM
Following a late April heavy snowfall in Calgary, robins began frequenting a crab apple tree in our backyard to feed on last season's crab apples.

Camera = Canon 5D
Lens = 300mm f2.8 + 2X

Focal length = 600mm
f-stop = 5.6
Shutter speed = 1/1500
ISO = 400
Tripod with Mongoose 3.5a

John

Alfred Forns
04-25-2008, 04:24 PM
Hi John The bg is a bit busy for me I like the position in frame for the bird and exposure is not bad Don't see much details in the white area? but difficult to see at this small size.

Not sure if is possible but would sure try setting up a perch for these guys !!!

John Knight
04-25-2008, 05:38 PM
Hi Alfred,
I agree with your reference about 'busy' with all of the branches. Is there anything that I should try to do to improve the image, or is 'busy' just what it is? I find it tough to know how to handle birds in situations like this with so many branches.

Re the detail in the white areas, what specifically should I look for to check out this aspect? I'm a bit new at this kind of detail, so any advice or suggestions are welcome.

John

Alfred Forns
04-25-2008, 07:50 PM
Hi John I feel you made the best image that was possible from your location.

You need to lure the bird to an open area by setting up a perch with a clean bg. With time you will recognize what is going to work and avoid the rest. I would continue photographing and checking. The other situation to watch out for is mixed light. If the bird is partly in shadows it will not work.

The whites you can actually check with the eyedropper tool and see the values. If you are under 255 there should be detail. Actually I like to go by what I see. I like to physically see detail in the white areas. Went back and downloaded your image in PS and all were under 255 so your histogram must have been fine.

btw these little guys are about as difficult as you will find to photograph !!!! Most images you see with a beautiful perch, bg etc are set up images. Some at bird feeders others playing tapes.

John Knight
04-25-2008, 08:26 PM
Thank you for the encouraging comments and suggestions, Alfred. My 'learning path' continues.

John

Oscar Zangroniz
04-25-2008, 09:04 PM
John. It is truly a beautiful bird, and as Al pointed out, I also think you did the best with what you had to work with. But I agree with him on the background. Keep them coming.
Regards,