PDA

View Full Version : Molokai: Just a Pretty Image

Jay Gould
11-25-2012, 02:41 PM
In October, my brother and I participated in an amazing workshop on Molokai, Hawaii: CREATIVE PHOTOGRAPHY FOR THE SOUL
Jack Davis with Dewitt Jones and Rikki Cooke (http://huiho.org/programs-2012.php)

"This retreat is about exploring the art in our lives and within ourselves. It is a week dedicated to sharpening the eye, expanding the mind and opening the heart - giving ourselves permission to fall in love with photography all over again! Recapturing that eagerness and enthusiasm of a child as we explore the endless ways we can integrate creativity into our lives!"

A week was not long enough to through off the mind's shackles and expand one's horizons - I will return!

The workshop started on the 20th; we arrived on the 22nd - my daughter, Jamie Gould Shatwell, was married on the 21st!! We arrived at 12:30pm; this image was made at 5:30pm. We didn't waste any time finding the group.

I have lots to share from this workshop; in the future I will simply indicate that the image came from the "Soul" Workshop.

This image: the group was doing a quick drive around and we were in a quick stop, look, compose, shoot mode, as we headed to that evening's sunset location - to be shared. The field of yellow leading to the wall of green and then the hills grabbed me. I generally look at a scene using a standard jpeg picture style so that I can see the potential colors on my LCD before switching to Neutral (-4 contrast) to make sure I expose the image to the right and get as much information as possible. The color was there even if not completely visible to my eye!

Camera: 5D3
Capture date/time: 22 Oct 2012
Light condition: Sunny
Lens: 17 - 40
Focal length: 32mm
Distance: 1/3 into scene LOL
Flash/Comp: no
ISO: 100
Exp Prog: Manual
Speed: .8 sec
Aperture: f/18
Exp Comp: None
Metering: Evaluative
WB: Auto
AF Drive: single
Tripod: yes
Filter: SR Color Intensifier
Crop: none
Images Changes: Stuff I didn't like removed!

Processed in LR4.2, CS6, NIK Viveza, TK Actions

All C&Cs gratefully appreciated!

<iframe width="468" scrolling="no" height="60" frameborder="0" style="border:none;" border="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=2351" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0"><p>Your browser does not support iFrame.</p></iframe>

Rachel Hollander
11-26-2012, 08:35 AM
Hi Jay - a pretty scene as you say and not the way people normally think of Hawaii. I like the simplicity of it as well with nice layers of color and an interesting sky. Looking forward to seeing more from the workshop. And congrats on your daughter's marriage.

TFS,
Rachel

Daniel Cadieux
12-03-2012, 06:48 PM
I never would have guessed this was taken in Hawaii!! Beautiful scene that screams Spring. Love the twisting trunks and branches at the treeline, and what appears tom e to be fence posts at left. The flowers are a very attractive yellow, but I feel they are perhaps a bit too dominant...I "browser cropped" perhaps about 2/3rds of the FG out I liked the result...very subjective but worth a try.

Congratulations to your daughter!!:S3:

Jay Gould
12-04-2012, 01:50 AM
Hi, I looked at the browser crop; it depends upon the story. If the story is about the mountains the crop works; if the story is about the field of flowers leading to the mountains then the crop doesn't work.

The story is about the field!

Morkel Erasmus
12-06-2012, 01:52 AM
Jay - congrats on your daughter's wedding. Hawaii is an amazing island and I would love to photograph there one day.
I like the colours and layers, but here again the IQ seems lacking and the image is quite soft and fuzzy. Not sure what your workflow is in preparing images for BPN?

I do look forward to more from the "Soul" workshop...:S3:

Jay Gould
12-06-2012, 02:12 AM
Jay - congrats on your daughter's wedding. Hawaii is an amazing island and I would love to photograph there one day.
I like the colours and layers, but here again the IQ seems lacking and the image is quite soft and fuzzy. Not sure what your workflow is in preparing images for BPN?

I do look forward to more from the "Soul" workshop...:S3:

You are absolutely right; I have to do some checking. Thanks.