PDA

View Full Version : Another rainy day

laurie golden
11-24-2012, 12:51 PM
Looking forward to a partly cloudy day tomorrow here in the Pacific Northwest after to many days of rain. Here is another Costa Rica bird - Keel-billed Toucan taken in the rain. I deleted a couple of branches from the upper left and cropped about 15%.

Nikon D3S, 500mm f4 lens
ISO 500, f6.3, 1/200 sec
Manual exposure

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1771"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Randy Stout
11-24-2012, 04:08 PM
Laurie;

The colors are amazing on this fellow, soft light lets them really glow. Sharp, well exposed, I like the rain drops, open bill.

I would be tempted to crop from the left enough to remove the OOF trunk in LUC, down from the top a bit, in from the right as well, and clone out the little bit of green leaves still showing above.

I suspect the IQ will hold up well enough for that, and it would really highlight the bird.

Personal taste really.

Cheers

Randy

Peter Dexter
11-24-2012, 04:41 PM
I agree about the trunk but otherwise very nice capture of a beautiful bird. I personally don't mind the leaves.

Raymond Lee
11-24-2012, 09:02 PM
Great shot Laurie! Love the colour and details on the bird! The rain in the background really adds to the setting. If this was my image, I would crop the top and right canvas slightly, clone out that trunk in the top left corner and clone out the hanging leaves about the bird. Again, excellent image!

Karl Egressy
11-25-2012, 08:34 AM
Great looking bird, love the open beak pose and colours. The rain look good on the picture, probably not as good to be in it, in real life.

Satish Ranadive
11-25-2012, 08:37 AM
Laurie:
Excellent image of Keel-billed Toucan in the rain.Very nice colors,pose and perch too.

Regards,
Satish.

gail bisson
11-25-2012, 08:56 AM
The soft light really showcases this beautiful birds' colors.
Like the comp and the raindrops and IQ.
I agree 100% with Randy and Raymond re:cloning out OOF trunk in LUC. I would also crop the RHS so that the branch intersects with the corner,
Gail

Grace Scalzo
11-25-2012, 09:27 AM
I love the rainy mood, great bird and background. Composition could certainly be strengthened by employing suggestions given above.

Stu Bowie
11-25-2012, 10:22 AM
Hi Laurie, love the soft light, and you have exposed the Toucan nicely. Good angled pose with the open beak, sharp, and I like how the curved perch runs through the frame. Great BG, and the rain adds to the image. Randy has mentioned the branches that I would remove too.

dankearl
11-25-2012, 12:36 PM
I really like the rain here, tough to pull off and make look good in a photo.
The bird is very attractive.

laurie golden
11-25-2012, 01:25 PM
Thank you all for your suggestions and comments. You all seem to be in agreement so I have deleted leaves and branches and cropped to 8x10, I do agree that it is a better photo of the bird. I originally wanted some habitat but I can see that there was not enough of it to add anything to the photo. Here is my hopefully improved photo.

Randy Stout
11-25-2012, 01:48 PM
Laurie:

For my tastes, this is a much stronger image, with a better look at the bird, still strong sense of rain, cleaned up branches, all better for me.

Cheers

Randy

dankearl
11-25-2012, 09:11 PM
Laurie, i like the repost, but I may have gone further, probably less habitat than you like, but I thought the bird was terrific,
and the bird and the rain was enough for me.
Hope you don't mind.

_DSC4005xdk.jpg (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=121317&stc=1&d=1353895803)

Robert Holguin
11-26-2012, 12:41 AM
Wonderful shot.
Love the rainfall, great perch, nice timing on the open beak, nice details, and wonderful background.
I really like your repost and Dan's too. Either one is stunning.
Well done.

Shawn Zierman
11-26-2012, 02:56 AM
Your repost rocks! I think the branch above the bird adds to the image in terms of "flow"
and more visual interest, so I don't care for the repost in pane#13.
Love the rain and the great subject expression.

Shawn Zierman
11-26-2012, 02:57 AM
Your repost rocks! I think the branch above the bird adds to the image in terms of "flow"
and more visual interest, so I don't care for the repost in pane#13.
Love the rain and the great subject expression.

David Salem
11-26-2012, 05:07 AM
Beautiful shot and I like the re-post allot. Great colors and the BG with the rain makes this special. Well done...

Gary Hamilton
11-26-2012, 10:59 AM
Another superb image, Laurie. Great exposure and details in the wet feathers. I like both reposts because they accentuate the bird more but that's up to you. Keep `em coming!

Richard Unsworth
11-26-2012, 05:33 PM
Very nice, good points and reposts - like em all.

miss Costa Rica for sure

Love Toucans, great character in this one!

Greg Basco
11-27-2012, 07:28 PM
Hi, Laurie. I think the advice you received was great and gave you an improved final product with the reposted version. Just love the soft light and rain here!

Cheers,
Greg