PDA

View Full Version : Staircase to a Golden Ceiling

Jay Gould
11-24-2012, 12:07 AM
Hi, yeah, it has been a long time; Thanksgiving resolution to start playing BPN again!!

This image was created during a Jack Graham Arizona Workshop; Jack certainly knows how to run a first class workshop.

We were in the Upper Antelope Canyon for quite some time and I wanted to find some "gold"! I set my tripod in a corner and walked around with my 5D3 in live view prospecting for color. Once I found the golden ceiling I then looked for a unique view/presentation. I am over the top happy with this image.

Camera: 5D3
Capture date/time: 19 Apr 2012
Light condition: Filtered Sun
Lens: 24-105
Focal length: 24
Distance: 1.5m
Flash/Comp: no
ISO: 100
Exp Prog: Manual
Speed: 2.5 sec
Aperture: f/20
Exp Comp: None
Metering: Evaluative
WB: Auto
AF Drive: Burst
Tripod: yes
Filter: SR Color Intensifier
Crop: none
Images Changes: 5 image HDR; stuff I didn't like removed!

Processed in LR4.1, CS5, NIK CEP4, TK Actions

All C&Cs gratefully appreciated!

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=2109"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Dave Mills
11-25-2012, 11:24 PM
Hi Jay, I see your still as busy as ever...Great! Upper Antelope is a great place to shoot being there on 3 different occasions.The narrow passageways with people coming through can be an annoyance though.. The range of color within the image is wonderful. There is also plenty of detail and a "right on" exposure. The only area I was wondering about was the smaller magenta piece in the upper left. I was wondering if that was omitted would the image be stronger. I'm usually pretty definitive in my remarks but would look at it both ways to see what I liked better. Overall...nice job on this!

Jay Gould
11-25-2012, 11:34 PM
Hi Jay, I see your still as busy as ever...Great! Upper Antelope is a great place to shoot being there on 3 different occasions.The narrow passageways with people coming through can be an annoyance though.. The range of color within the image is wonderful. There is also plenty of detail and a "right on" exposure. The only area I was wondering about was the smaller magenta piece in the upper left. I was wondering if that was omitted would the image be stronger. I'm usually pretty definitive in my remarks but would look at it both ways to see what I liked better. Overall...nice job on this!

Hi Buddy, thanks for stopping by and commenting. That upper left piece is in each of the five images It was the only piece that didn't convert properly. I actually took that corner from only one of the images and blended it into place. If I removed it I would have to extend the gold ceiling and I doubt it would look at all natural.

Rachel Hollander
11-26-2012, 08:27 AM
Hi Jay - welcome back. My thought was the same as Dave's, would the image be strengthened without the piece in the ulc. I understand from your response why you kept it but I wonder if moving in the field might have been a better option. Fabulous color as you say. There's also a slight halo at the top of the purple piece in the middle.

TFS,
Rachel

Jay Gould
11-26-2012, 08:57 AM
Hi Jay - welcome back. My thought was the same as Dave's, would the image be strengthened without the piece in the ulc. I understand from your response why you kept it but I wonder if moving in the field might have been a better option. Fabulous color as you say. There's also a slight halo at the top of the purple piece in the middle.

TFS,
Rachel

Hi, and thanks for thinking about and commenting on my image. I do have other views of this "mother lode" that I am going to process; however, to create the "staircase" I could not eliminate the ulc. The halo is in the original darker images of the RAW HDR; it was very light and the halo is caused by the reflection against the darker rock. There is separation between edge of the staircase and the ceiling of several feet. Cheers,

Dave Mills
11-26-2012, 01:06 PM
Hi Jay, This was my idea... After posting it I noticed I would tone down the upper left a bit

Jay Gould
11-26-2012, 01:15 PM
Definitely works; I prefer the OP because it your crop shrinks the lower right side sweep. Certainly appreciate your taking the time to give me another view point. Cheers,

Grady Weed
11-27-2012, 08:10 PM
Jay,

Love it as is! The purple and the sweeping lines are fantastic. It must be a very special place to go.

Roman Kurywczak
11-29-2012, 01:00 PM
Hey Jay,
Great feedback above. You may consider toning down the ULC piece although I must admit, I do like Dave's version as well. Just some more food for thought and glad to see you still traveling!

Jay Gould
11-29-2012, 01:28 PM
Hey Jay,
Great feedback above. You may consider toning down the ULC piece although I must admit, I do like Dave's version as well. Just some more food for thought and glad to see you still traveling!

Thanks, I will give toning done the ULC piece a go and RP. Cheers,

Morkel Erasmus
12-05-2012, 10:05 AM
Love these scenes Jay, and you composed this well for my tastes. Love the hues and play of light, though I agree with the bright upper LHC. This would make a very interesting monochrome with all the lines and light contrasts...:bg3:

Jay Gould
12-05-2012, 10:27 AM
Love these scenes Jay, and you composed this well for my tastes. Love the hues and play of light, though I agree with the bright upper LHC. This would make a very interesting monochrome with all the lines and light contrasts...:bg3:

Hi, Thanks! I am just starting to play with SilverEfex; I will add this to a future B&W collection!!