PDA

View Full Version : Dead Vlei #5

Rachel Hollander
11-23-2012, 10:05 PM
Another one from my trip to Namibia in August. The moon was up during the daytime so I wanted to combine the moon, the dunes and at least one of the trees at Dead Vlei. Unfortunately, the moon's position in the early morning was fairly high up and not great for combining all the elements.

Canon 7D
70-200 II @ 70mm
1/100
f18
ISO 100
HH, slight crop for comp but shot in portrait orientation, luminosity mask, levels, curves, LCE, Hougaard Malan action and sharpened in CS5.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1738"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Steve Uffman
11-25-2012, 10:20 AM
really like all your work...inspired me to go to Nambia.....if moon's position is not to your liking, maybe move it? not really breaking too many rules if you do ....

Jay Gould
11-25-2012, 11:45 PM
Nice image, Rachel. If it is OK to extend canvas, it is OK to remove canvas. If it were mine I would simply chop out a center section and move the moon, OR simply clone the moon lower and crop.

I won't tell!! :w3

Rachel Hollander
11-26-2012, 08:20 AM
Thanks Steve and Jay for the suggestions, though that is a change I am not comfortable making.

Roman Kurywczak
11-29-2012, 12:56 PM
Hi Rachel,
For me, the moon isn't an issue but I am not a huge fan of the dead trees on the right. I'd imagine it is tough moving around out there. Do they allow you to stay out overnight in the area?

Rachel Hollander
11-29-2012, 01:16 PM
Thanks Roman, unfortunately no staying overnight at Dead Vlei, in fact you need to be out of the park at sunset.

Thanks again,
Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
12-06-2012, 05:56 AM
Not your strongest offering from Dead Vlei, Rachel. The FG and trees don't really "speak to me", and the darks of the trees look a bit choked up.
I do like the inclusion of the moon and the wind blowing the sand over the crest of the dune.

Thanks Roman, unfortunately no staying overnight at Dead Vlei, in fact you need to be out of the park at sunset.

Thanks again,
Rachel

Mmhmm...I've seen MANY star-trail images of Dead Vlei online, so I guess there is a permit one can get if you are prepared to pay. Marsel van Oosten's group shoots this place at night on his annual tours.

Anette Mossbacher
12-11-2012, 02:24 AM
Hi Rachel, and again looks great to me. Yes, the moon is quite a bit high, but I like it that way. Always depends how you see it. The colors are as it was over there :))
my thought with the moon was, when I read your post, clone it to the spot your liking! :)
but this is just me again, I would leave it where it is, because it was that way :)
Nice done

ciao
Anette

Rachel Hollander
12-11-2012, 07:06 AM
Thanks Anette, I also prefer to leave it as it actually was.