PDA

View Full Version : Southern Elephant Seal looks after his female !!!

Andreas Liedmann
11-23-2012, 08:58 AM
Hey folks,
took this image of this couple at a lonely and romantic beach on South Georgia, where this very sensitive :eek3: male was trying to mate with the female ! Trying ! maybe he is still trying !!!

Canon EOS 1D MK IV
EF 24- 105 IS L at 55mm
HH

F8 ; ISO 400 ; 1/640sec

Almost FF ; cropped for slight rotation

Processed in RPP and PS

Thanks for watching

Cheers Andreas

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1667"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Grady Weed
11-23-2012, 09:14 AM
Andreas,

Now this one is the best so far, by far. First; the bg is is not distracting, but adds interest. The penguins are clearly seen and the landscape has some finer details than the other images. Secondly; the happy expression and the contented look on the female evokes more emotion, simply by the expressions. Third; the colors are a tad better. Nicely framed and well presented. TFS.

Rachel Hollander
11-23-2012, 11:16 AM
Hi Andreas - very different image to see a tender moment by the bull usually known for his battles and scars. Well caputured though it appears you were on a little higher ground this time. I like that you can see the teeth and eye so well. The penguins also add interest. I might consider cropping a little off the top to just below the line of mist/clouds.

TFS,
Rachel

Andreas Liedmann
11-23-2012, 11:25 AM
Thanks Grady and Rachel for your comments, appreciated !

Rachel - two reasons for the higher perspective , first i was even closer and the bull with female was less relaxed than the other one, second i wanted to include the mountains and not that much the pebbles on the beach.If i had gone lower , the pebbles would have been more dominant.

Thanks hope you understand my reasons.

Andreas

Clemens Vanderwerf
11-23-2012, 12:06 PM
Hi Andreas,

Great image and lovely moment captured here. Love the penguins in the right corner. You might have gone higher a little but to avoid intersecting the "horizon line" with the nose of the bull. If it were mine I would remove the stone in the LRC.

Good job.

Clemens

Andreas Liedmann
11-23-2012, 12:12 PM
Hey shipmate,
thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.
You are right with the intersection, things i have to learn are plentiful .But i do not care about the stone !!

Cheers Andreas

Clemens Vanderwerf
11-23-2012, 12:14 PM
The stone is not a big deal, but I personally like to keep my frame edges clear.

Andreas Liedmann
11-23-2012, 12:16 PM
Yep, that is more than fair enough.

Sid Garige
11-23-2012, 02:15 PM
Excellent shooting angle Andreas. I see your point about striking balance in between rocks in foregound and background mountains. Very well done.

Steve Kaluski
11-24-2012, 06:17 AM
Hi Andreas, one of your best, love this habitat/environment content, very well executed.

My only though would be, if you are using LR/ACR is to bring a Grad filter down to define more of the sky/ridge of the mountains in the very BKG.

TFS
Steve :cheers:

Andreas Liedmann
11-24-2012, 06:39 AM
thanks Steve , i still do not use ACR /LR , so i should do it other way in Ps - will give it a go , but later.

What about you , do you move back to Canon`s DPP , like your mate A. R.?

Andreas

Steve Kaluski
11-24-2012, 07:04 AM
Hi Andreas, OK you can create quite easily a ND filter in PS, however with ACR/LR you will be working on the RAW which as you know, is much better for IQ. Using LR/ACR is so quick & easy with a lot more available to choose from in terms of what you add into the Gradient, ie exposure, highlights, contrast, clarity... plus, you can choose the angle/position you wish to place it.

What about you , do you move back to Canon`s DPP , like your mate A. R.?
In all honesty I might have a quick look at how the RAW file compares, however I cannot export (when required) as Smart Object from DPP which gives me event greater flexibility to the IQ, as it's still an 'unbaked image'.

Andreas Liedmann
11-24-2012, 07:15 AM
In all honesty I might have a quick look at how the RAW file compares, however I cannot export (when required) as Smart Object from DPP which gives me event greater flexibility to the IQ, as it's still an 'unbaked image'.

That is still a big advantage of ACR / LR and will be forever i think.

Steve Kaluski
11-24-2012, 07:20 AM
LR/ACR IMHO is the way to go, plus using ProRGB it expands so much colour range (and your file size), but it means you are using a greater capacity of information you camera has captured. Going RGB means you are throwing away a lot of valuable info you have already captured. You have the kit, why let both it and yourself down by only using a % of image content?

Your call. :w3

gail bisson
11-24-2012, 07:26 AM
This is a terrific shot Andreas.
I love the moment captured and the penguins in the BG.
Gail

Andreas Liedmann
11-24-2012, 07:31 AM
Thanks Gail. really appreciated !!

Andreas

Roman Kurywczak
11-27-2012, 12:34 PM
Fantastic image all around. Very well composed and the WA give it a very nice look. All the elements are there so very well done!

Alan Lillich
11-28-2012, 11:42 AM
Great pose and composition, especially getting the male's eye wide open. The penguins add a very nice BG touch.

Jamie Douglas
11-28-2012, 11:26 PM
Nice one Andreas, a superb wide angle image with lots of detail and no distracting elements. I agree that trying to add some more depth to the mtns would take this up a notch.

Jamie

Morkel Erasmus
12-03-2012, 09:02 AM
I agree, one of your best. I love it. Quirky moments in nature are a pleasure to capture and view...tells a whole story and the penguins add a lot too.
Ditto on the suggestion to darken the top half a tad and ditto on using ProPhoto RGB in RAW files. :5