PDA

View Full Version : New-look Website!

Morkel Erasmus
11-22-2012, 09:03 AM
Hi guys. It's taken me a few months in between work, family and photography stuff, but I've finally made my new-look website live.
The previous one was built on Flash, and we all know that doesn't work on phones and tablets (specifically Apple products).

The new one is built on HTML5. I went for a basic look and navigation. Would love your feedback...I am still populating some of the galleries but am pretty happy with the outcome. :c3:

Feel free to tell me what you don't like and what you think would look/work better. :bg3:

www.morkelerasmus.com (http://www.morkelerasmus.com)

Cheers,
Morkel

Steve Canuel
11-22-2012, 12:28 PM
Hey Morkel,
First look, too much white but I like the simplicity of the site and the photos really stand out against the BG (the ultimate goal I would assume). The white isn't really a problem, probably just shocked me coming from BPN's black BG. Maybe some small squiggly accent designs to fill a little more of the empty spaces? Quick and responsive shuffling between categories (like your naming scheme too). And the name is easy to remember :bg3:.

Sid Garige
11-22-2012, 08:35 PM
Very clean look and super fast Morkel. Like the gallery organization (big fan of 500px format) too.
If i may ask did you consider using wordpress?
-sid

Morkel Erasmus
11-22-2012, 11:07 PM
Thanks Steve and Sid.

Sid, I considered it as my website template (BigFolio) integrates well with it, but I am keeping my "Blogger" blog as that in turn integrates well with Google+, of which I am an avid user. I also like the idea of Google indexing everything on my Google platforms for internet search.

Jerry van Dijk
11-23-2012, 09:31 AM
Looks good Morkel! A suggestion would be to add links to your images in contests etc. It's always nice to see what is considered the best work of a photographer. Personally, I prefer portfolios where I can select the image to view instead of having to leaf through all of them, but the photo's do look good and the navigation is easy enough.

Dan Brown
11-23-2012, 10:29 AM
Nice, Morkel. There seems to be a problem with the galleries, at least on my end. When I first looked at the portfolio page, all the thumbs were showing whole, now they are all shifted to the right? Also, when viewing any gallery, the first image is centered in the viewing area fine but the rest shift down and only show the top half until scrolled up?

Morkel Erasmus
11-23-2012, 01:35 PM
thanks guys
there is a thumbnail viewing option - bottom RHC?
I also saw the image position changing but only every so often when opening the site - will have the guys look into it
thanks! :5

Harshad Barve
11-24-2012, 11:11 PM
Great website. Big Congrats