PDA

View Full Version : Flame-colored Tanager in the rain and clouds

laurie golden
11-21-2012, 11:00 PM
This flame-colored tanager photo, taken in Costa Rica, is one of my favorite photos from this trip. I like the perch and the background as it is shown (and taken) which is not always the case - usually I look for clean backgrounds. I am interested to know how others feel about the background. I have considered blurring the background just a little. All other comments are welcome too.

Nikon D800 in dx mode, 500mm f4 lens
ISO 800, f7.1, 1/640 sec, fill flash
Manual exposure

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1720"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Jack Breakfast
11-21-2012, 11:06 PM
The background is wonderful and I'd love it even more if the leaves at bottom weren't cut off. Much more to my liking than a crystalline and nondescript background. Nice water droplets, lovely light, and the size of the bird in the frame is perfect. This is all terribly subjective, of course!

Allen Sparks
11-21-2012, 11:33 PM
I like the background showing the habitat very well. I do notice the leaves right behind the bird's head but they don't really bother me. The bird's color really fits well with the image overall. Very well done!

laurie golden
11-21-2012, 11:49 PM
Jack - sorry I didn't get the tips of the leaves. Thanks for your comments.

Allen - I see that those leaves over his head are not as out of focus as the rest of the background, I could just blur them a little. Thanks for pointing them out.

PhilCook
11-22-2012, 04:29 AM
I like the backdrop, I dont have a problem with natural settings, and the colour of the bird contrasts nicely against it. I do find the foreground leaves grab my attention a bit though, they are brighter and seemingly sharper than the bird itself, I'd be inclined to selectively bright and sharpen the bird a touch more

Peter Dexter
11-22-2012, 06:42 AM
Beautiful tanager. Like the water droplets on the twig and nice background as others have stated. I think I would crop it in tighter so maybe the leaf tips would be lass of an issue.

Daniel Cadieux
11-22-2012, 10:18 AM
This looks alot nicer than I thought just from the thumb. This is actually quite attractive as is and I would not modify the BG except to darken the brighter areas on the two leaves above the head. You could also darken the pupil as there is a bit of a haze in it. Fantastic image, I can see why it is your favorite from your trip!!

Norm Dulak
11-22-2012, 04:25 PM
Very nice image, so sharp that the water droplets along the main stem add significantly to the result. If it were mine, I'd crop the image just to the left of the last leaf on the stem below the bird, because I don't think that the extra negative space on the left adds much.

dankearl
11-22-2012, 06:37 PM
I think the setting is first rate.
I really like this. Very well done.

gail bisson
11-22-2012, 07:23 PM
Well done Laurie.
I love the colors and the rain and the water droplets.
I am Ok with the BG but like Daniel's suggestions,
Gail

Jim Crosswell
11-22-2012, 08:19 PM
I like the setting, rain drops, bright Tanager and composition. Well done Laurie!

Raymond Lee
11-22-2012, 11:19 PM
Love the composition Laurie! I think it is fine the way it is.

Satish Ranadive
11-23-2012, 09:16 AM
Wonderful image of beautifully colored Tanager in lovely environment.Very nice composition too.

Regards,
Satish.

Fernando Cerra
11-24-2012, 01:31 AM
The more I see it the more I like it.