PDA

View Full Version : Burrowing Owl

David Salem
11-21-2012, 05:06 AM
This is one of the babies that I had the privilege to watch grow up at my local owl spot last spring. He was the most easy going one of the dozen owlets that I photographed. After a few months he eventually let me drive up within minimum focus distance, about 25ft, every day I went out to visit. He is about three months old in this picture and turned out to be the dominant male of the group.

1DMKIV---700mm---f6.3---ss1/1600---ISO400---Car as blind w/BLUBB @7:15am---Full Frame.

Thanks as always for looking and for your input. Appreciated

David

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1716"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Randy Stout
11-21-2012, 07:48 AM
David:

I have only had a chance to photograph the adults, and it is interesting to see the physical differences. He looks much leaner, with a relatively smaller head than the adults.

Sharp, well exposed, purposeful gaze, like the foot up.

Might consider just a tiny bit more room on top.

Cheers

Randy

Satish Ranadive
11-21-2012, 09:22 AM
David:
Excellent image baby owl.Great pose with raised foot.Very nice color scheme,details and lovely background.
Love it.Would crop on right and add on top.

Regards,
Satish.

Peter Dexter
11-21-2012, 10:02 AM
Terrific shot. He looks like a cyclops!

Stu Bowie
11-21-2012, 10:19 AM
Hi David, you get to see and shoot this guy every day, and I dont have a single owl image in my files. Love the light, one legged pose, and that BG is really sweet. Comp wise, I would like to see this more as a vertical, by taking a bit off the right. :w3

Andreas Liedmann
11-21-2012, 11:02 AM
Hi David,
nicely processed and capture of these nice creatures.
Like the colors,the soft BG and the tones of the whole image.

but i would go for a vertical comp,if it was mine.

Good job.

TFS Andreas

Jim Crosswell
11-21-2012, 11:28 AM
I like the pose, raised foot, sharpness and complimentary BG/perch. I was surprised how small the head was compared to an adult. Another vote for a vertical composition. Well done David!

Nancy Bell
11-21-2012, 11:50 AM
Agree with all of the above. This is a super image with a great bkgd. A vertical could be a nice option. I have found Burrowing Owls to have all kinds of temperaments. Out here on the Colorado prairie, you cannot get close to the owls. I suspect they are sadly used for target practice (along with Prairie Dogs) and chased by dogs & coyotes and just do not tolerate any kind of approach. And yet just minutes from one of the large airports in Brazil on a small traffic island between speeding cars a Burrowing Owl nested and did not problem with my approaching for a photo!

Melissa Groo
11-21-2012, 05:30 PM
Really like the handsome, regal pose of this burrowing owl. I love all the tan tones and how they work together. Great exposure, detail and IQ.

Karl Egressy
11-21-2012, 06:41 PM
Beauty shot David but I find a little too thight at the top.

Daniel Cadieux
11-22-2012, 09:03 AM
The techs and processing look perfect, but I agree with a vertical (and with more room top and bottom). I'd also prefer both eyes visible but I suspect you have many of those in your files already, so in this way it is nice to have variety.

dankearl
11-22-2012, 10:28 PM
One of my lifer birds, I would have to travel some to see them.
I also think a straight ahead vertical would look nice.