PDA

View Full Version : Back from Southern Ocean II

Andreas Liedmann
11-20-2012, 03:35 PM
Hi folks ,
i am BACK !!!

Enjoyed a wonderful , exciting and productive journey on the southern ocean , with thousands of images to look through and even more killer shots ........ to throw in the bin.

coming back with an image of a Southern Elephant Seal taken at my first encounter with this massive animals (bulls).

Hope you like it.

Canon EOS 1D MK III
EF 70-200 IS L
HH

F 5,6 / ISO 320 / 1/ 2000sec

Processed in RPP and PS ; cropped to 85% of FF

Comments good or bad appreciated

Cheers Andreas

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1670"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Rachel Hollander
11-20-2012, 05:44 PM
Hi Andreas - welcome back! Nice low pov and good detail, particularly interesting to see the scratches/wounds. Nice soft tones to the sky too. I am seeing a slight halo where the seal meets the sky. Looking forward to seeing many more from your trip.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
11-21-2012, 03:31 AM
Hi Andreas, nice to see you back and posting. Looks like an awesome place from what images I have seen.

Good perspective on this one, but if you have the image area, perhaps a 4 degree CW rotation (amount optional) may help? Looks like the light wasn't on your side sadly based on the ISO, why did you not have use the MIV, as there is more grain visible in the nose, have you lightened this part? Really helped in having the hint of blue rather than a stark BKG colour. The halo is easily resolved and I might (if you have applied any) just ease off on the amount of sharpening on the sand to the left under the head/body. Based on the scares and cuts this one looks a formidable character, did you get any sparring?

Looking forward to seeing more.

TFS
Steve :wave:

Gerald Kelberg
11-21-2012, 07:55 AM
Hey Andreas,

Good to see you are back and had a good productive and enjoyable time!

Looks like a real mean old bull Elephant Seal - all those scars and wounds on his neck!

I like the point of view and the contrast against the blue sky.

Hope to see those killer shots - post them here before you throw them in the bin!

Cheers,

Gerald

Andreas Liedmann
11-21-2012, 09:49 AM
Hey folks ,
thanks for the warm welcome.
Missed you all ......... LOL.

Rachel - should have watched the halo when i toned down the sky. Thanks for pointing this out.

Steve - i do not think , rotation is needed , because the seal is lying on a slope that was going down to LHS.I used the MK IV mainly on the 500`, so i was ending up with this combo.Light was rarely on our side on this trip,but nothing we could do about!!! Hey it is not AFRICA down there..
I could tone down the sharpening , thanks Steve.
No lightening of the seal at all, exposure was just right.

Cheers Andreas

Steve Kaluski
11-21-2012, 09:56 AM
Hey it is not AFRICA down there..

I know Andreas, those that work in Africa & Florida have it tough :bg3: Bin the MKIII and upgrade, but take your other points that's fine. If the animals are on a slope always good to add that note etc. :S3: Now viewing on 'whopper' nose looks better.

Grady Weed
11-21-2012, 05:40 PM
I am with Gerald here. I just love the POV and the scars. He looks to have had a tough life. Good effort!