PDA

View Full Version : Giant Petrels fighting

Nancy Bell
11-20-2012, 03:18 PM
The Giant Petrels are the vultures of the Antarctic and surrounding islands. They appear to be territorial about their meals and as I photographed this one chasing another, additional petrels sneaked in to the carrion. Eventually all seem to get something, even the skuas.

Canon 1D Mark IV, Canon 70-200 f2.8 L IS, 1/3200, f5, ISO 800, exp. comp. +1/3.

C & C most appreciated.

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1670"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Andreas Liedmann
11-20-2012, 03:42 PM
Hi Nancy,
like the fighting action here, like wise the colors and overall tonality, good capture of the scene.

If you have more room on LHS could be a plus, i would reduce the cooler colors in the sand if it was mine.

TFS Andreas

A pleasure to meet you there...

Tim King
11-20-2012, 03:45 PM
Fantastic photo. Love the flying sand and the left bird protecting his rear.

Dennis Zaebst
11-20-2012, 04:21 PM
Very nice image overall Nancy and I like it. The only things I would change are: 1) the bright water in the BG, although not "blown" might be toned down a bit as it is a little distracting; and 2) more space at the left, if you have it. Otherwise, terrific!

Nancy Bell
11-20-2012, 05:06 PM
I have plenty of room on the left. The reason I cropped so much off was that a larger image had to be reduced even more for the web and I felt too many details were getting lost. The whites seem ok on my monitor but no problem toning down some. Can also adjust the colors on the sand. Thanks all for looking and commenting.

Jim Crosswell
11-20-2012, 06:34 PM
I like the action, flying sand and poses. The front bird moving his tail to the side to prevent it from being nipped makes the image. I could see a pano crop here. Well captured Nancy!

Dan Busby
11-20-2012, 06:52 PM
Nice one Nancy. The left bird seems to be looking at you as if to say in a sarcastic tone "a little help here please"! I like the flying sand and raised foot - reenforcing the notion of action. The colours all seem a bit muted but that is probably just being true to situation.

Marina Scarr
11-21-2012, 11:08 AM
Super behavior/action captured here, Nancy. What a great story this image tells. I like the comp the way it is although a pano may well work as well as Jim suggested. Nice flying sand, white water and wing positions.

Rachel Hollander
11-21-2012, 04:33 PM
Hi Nancy - great action, well captured. The petrel on the right really looks fierce. The flying sand really adds to the image. Good suggestions above for taking this up a notch.

TFS,
Rachel