PDA

View Full Version : Ice bears of Arctic - 5

Sid Garige
11-19-2012, 07:22 PM
Bit busy at work again and my apologies for lack of participation.

Another image from last months trip to Arctic.

Canon 1D mark IV, 500mm F4 1/1000, F6.3

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1642"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

laurie golden
11-19-2012, 08:25 PM
Not an ordinary polar bear photo. Very nice composition, great exposure, sharp and in the water. I love it.

Rachel Hollander
11-19-2012, 08:30 PM
Sid - I didn't think it was possible but you've outdone last year's images. Great low pov and usual spot on techs. I might consider a very slight crop from the bottom just to remove the strip of brighter ice. It works well with a screen crop.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
11-20-2012, 08:48 AM
Hi Sid, like the comp and the space for the bear to look into.

Looks like the light was good and provided some nice saturated colours. Is this cropped Sid, as I would have thought there might have been a bit more detail/clarity in the fur albeit wet? Just an observation. If this was shot from a skiff to get the low POV, then tricky condition, nice one. I might suggest a CW rotation of 2 degrees based on the bears posture.

TFS
Steve :wave:

Morkel Erasmus
11-20-2012, 12:21 PM
lovely POV and the light on the eye and face makes it special
I viewed on the ipad prior to my flight taking off and tried to comment, but it wouldn't go through - and now Steve's beat me to the punch on the rotation suggestion.
I would not only base it on the bear's posture, but also on the line of ice in the BG...:e3

Sid Garige
11-20-2012, 10:54 PM
Sid - I didn't think it was possible but you've outdone last year's images. Great low pov and usual spot on techs. I might consider a very slight crop from the bottom just to remove the strip of brighter ice. It works well with a screen crop.

TFS,
Rachel

Rachel,
Initially I wanted it for negative space but now I am more inclined towards your idea of slight crop from the bottom. Thanks for the kind words.
-sid

Sid Garige
11-20-2012, 10:58 PM
Hi Sid, like the comp and the space for the bear to look into.

Looks like the light was good and provided some nice saturated colours. Is this cropped Sid, as I would have thought there might have been a bit more detail/clarity in the fur albeit wet? Just an observation. If this was shot from a skiff to get the low POV, then tricky condition, nice one. I might suggest a CW rotation of 2 degrees based on the bears posture.

TFS
Steve :wave:

Thanks Steve. Yes, great light day with blue skies. I guess I can go for another round of sharpening. It was shot from a small boat. Ice was thick and bears were breaking ice to cool off. We had a great year. Agree with rotation too.
-sid

Sid Garige
11-20-2012, 10:59 PM
Thanks Laurie and Morkel.

Steve Kaluski
11-21-2012, 03:17 AM
We had a great year.

Sid, very jealous, these are awesome animals and IMHO, are up there with photographing Tigers. Never get tired of seeing posted images, bring it on...

Andreas Liedmann
11-21-2012, 09:58 AM
Hi Sid,
like the breakthrough of the bear you captured.
Good colors, tones and contrast throughout the image.
Light was really on your side, would leave everything as is, besides the rotation what Steve suggested.

Cheers Andreas

Grady Weed
11-21-2012, 05:48 PM
Your the man Sid. Or should I say, "Your the polar bear"!

Tom Redd
11-22-2012, 01:27 AM
Sid, thanks for another great shot. Nothing to add from what has been said. Keep em coming....

Sid Garige
11-22-2012, 08:13 PM
Your the man Sid. Or should I say, "Your the polar bear"!
Thanks Grady. Barter island never disappointed me.

Sid Garige
11-22-2012, 08:14 PM
Sid, thanks for another great shot. Nothing to add from what has been said. Keep em coming....

Thanks Tom. Got couple of more free days before another week trip.

Steve Uffman
11-22-2012, 11:53 PM
Rock on my friend.....