PDA

View Full Version : Tamron SP AF200-500mm F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF) - Any Comments?

JH Tugs
01-05-2008, 03:35 PM
Hi All,

I'm looking to get a new long lens for my Canon, and I'm curious to know if anybody has any real life feedback on the Tamron SP AF200-500mm F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF) lens. I am also looking at the low end Canon 300mm L and 400m L lenses, but the Tamron has had some very good reviews (and is US$200 cheaper than the Canon 400mm L) and I'm curious to know if anybody has used it in anger at the long end.

All comments welcome! Thanks in advance.

James Shadle
01-05-2008, 04:25 PM
Mr Tugs.

My son owns this lens. I have used it and like it.

Tamron 200-500mm : I have several workshop clients who have purchased this lens, my son purchased one as well.
It is IMO the best bang for your buck of any lens ranging out to 500mm.

Auto Focus is very fast, it does not have a limiter switch so stay on target.

The lens is light weight and that lends itself to easy hand holding for photographing birds in flight. Light weight lenses have more plastic than metal, so don't drop it (or any other lens for that matter). I can tell you I am impressed with the build quality. A client decided not properly attach the lens to a tripod and let it fall!
Minor local repair and back to work!

The zoom range is versatile at 200mm - 500mm. But the bottom line is it produces sharp contrast images.

JH Tugs
01-06-2008, 09:55 PM
Thanks James - that's really useful information! I'm trying to fine a more wife-compatible lens than the Canon 400mm f/5.6L - and 200-500 is a very tempting range (as is having telephoto capability rather than just prime). Really appreciate the feedback.

Alan C. Paine
01-22-2008, 02:12 PM
Hello,

Any feedback on this lens. I have one and like it so far. Anyone else used?

JH Tugs
01-26-2008, 04:35 PM
My father has just said he's going to buy one, so I get to play with it for a while. I will report back once the deed is done :-)

Richard Stern
02-09-2008, 02:21 PM
It's what I have been using for a year or so, initially on a D70s, now on a D300. I find it easier to use, faster to focus, and at least as high IQ as my Nikon 80-400VR. No problem hand-holding at ISOs high enough to give shutter speeds of 1/500.

Richard

Cindy Nowlin
03-14-2008, 10:24 AM
Is this lens just as sharp at 500 as it is at say 400? Usually with a zoom they are only sharp to a certain point. And can you use a tc with this lens, if so which one is best. I just got a D200 and am looking for a long lens. Wish I could afford the Nikon 200 - 400 but not just yet. thanks

Blake Shadle
03-14-2008, 10:30 AM
The lens is sharp throughout the range. The only thing to take note of is that with increased focal comes shallow depth of field. f/6.3 isn't the same at 400mm as it is at 500mm... the DOF is much more shallow at 500mm, so you may need to back off that max aperture a little bit.

My wife uses this lens a lot and she is fairly new to nature photography. She has made some remarkably sharp images with this lens.

Cindy Nowlin
03-14-2008, 10:40 AM
Thanks Blake.

What do you mean by back off the max aperture?

Blake Shadle
03-14-2008, 10:50 AM
The maximum aperture is the largest (biggest hole, smallest number) aperture at a given focal length... This lens' largest opening is f/6.3 at 500mm. Shooting at f/8 (2/3s of a full stop smaller) will give you a little more DOF. You'll notice a difference in sharpness between the two apertures when shooting at 500mm.

Cindy Nowlin
03-14-2008, 01:48 PM
Ok thanks Blake. That is what I thought you meant, but figured better to ask.

I will mostly be shooting wildlife, so I normally shoot at F8 anyways. Hopefully will make it back down to FL sometime soon to put it to its test shooting at Vierra, MIWR, Desoto and all my other favorite hangouts. .

JH Tugs
03-15-2008, 09:47 AM
I had a play with this lens and it was extremely impressive. Pin sharp at 500mm, no noticeable chromatic aberration even at full magnification (really, you'd have to look hard to find it), and fast to focus. The obvious quibble is a lack of IS/VR, but then it's usually used on a tripod - so invest in a stable tripod instead. The ring mount is super - it has marks for 0 degrees, -90 and 90 degrees, making a rotation to portrait an absolute breeze, which is lovely for bird photography. It comes with a lens hood which fits reversed on the lens for storage (Canon style), and the ring mount.

I found it hard to fault at that price. I'll confess that I'm eyeing up the Sigma 150-500 OS, but then I fear it will not be in the same price bracket as this Tamron.

Two thumbs way up. :)

Cindy Nowlin
03-15-2008, 01:20 PM
Can you use a tc with this lens? If so which one is best nikon/canon or tamron or kenko..

JH Tugs
03-15-2008, 07:44 PM
My father said his canon 1.4tc doesn't fit. I tried it with my kenko 1.4tc, and it worked, but the quality drop was noticeable at 500mm. A better quality TC might give better results, however.