Melissa Groo
11-18-2012, 03:55 PM
Canon 1D4
500mm
Gitzo 3530LS/Wimberley

ISO 1000
f/4
1/400 sec

I took this this summer in the woods behind my house. I have had a hard time getting a photograph of a Scarlet Tanager, so was glad to capture one, esp. so close to home. I struggled a bit with the reds, so would appreciate feedback on that. The bird really was this vivid--but I don't want it to look unreal. I did desaturate the reds just a little bit.
I did use playback; I have learned through much effort that it is virtually impossible to photograph a ST any other way. No flash.
Thanks so much in advance for all comments and critiques.

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1642"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

dankearl
11-18-2012, 04:14 PM
Absolutely gorgeous!
You could not ask for a better natural frame than the branch it is on.
Having never seen one (none where I live), I can't comment on the color,
it seems exceptionally vivid but the contrast with the green may give it that look.
Just a very attractive bird and photograph.

Randy Stout
11-18-2012, 04:43 PM
Melissa:

I really liked the thumbnail, and the real image is even better. As Dan mentioned, a perfect framing perch, strong colors.
The reds do look a bit oversaturated, with a little smearing of fine feather detail, but very close.

In Photoshop, you can go to selective color, reds, and pull back the magenta slider between 10-15, which will reveal a bit more detail, and reduce the red saturation to a more natural level. Season to taste, but that adjustment looks pretty close to the ones I have seen in person.

Sharp. A real beauty. Well done.

Cheers

Randy

Melissa Groo
11-18-2012, 05:09 PM
Thanks Dan and Randy. Randy, thank you for your good advice, I went in and adjusted by -8, I thought more than that made it look a little washed out. Here is the rework. It's slight but I think it's better.

Bill Dix
11-18-2012, 05:10 PM
Wow. These birds can be stunningly scarlet, so I don't think the reds are overdone. You did a good job with the exposure. Nice comp and head angle too. Still, you might want to try Randy's suggestion to see if a little more detail could be tweaked out of the reds. I could imagine a slight crop from top and left -- the bird is beautifully sharp, but there is a lot of oof environment that draws some attention. A handsome image.

Randy Stout
11-18-2012, 05:30 PM
Melissa:

I think your repost is a good compromise. The viewing monitor effects this type of issue significantly, so different folks will see it a bit differently.

Bill makes a good point about the crop, and I had similar thoughts, just a modest amount, to maintain that lovely framing effect.

Cheers

Randy

laurie golden
11-18-2012, 05:31 PM
Melissa,

This is a beautiful photo. Everything looks great even the reds.

In my recent trip to Costa Rica some participants had trouble with yellows and reds and this is what Greg Basco said to do. In Bridge click on the camera icon and select a different camera profile - I think Adobe Standard is usually the default. I have Nikon and usually pick camera neutral, a friend with Cannon says he switches to camera faithful. Now anytime one of these colors looks to bright I change the profile.

Melissa Groo
11-18-2012, 05:42 PM
Here is a repost with a crop, as suggested. Thanks very much for that tip, Laurie, I'll look into it.

Bill Dix
11-18-2012, 05:47 PM
Terrific reposts. I'd just love to have this in my files. Stunning.

Tim King
11-18-2012, 06:23 PM
Both crops are good but I personally prefer the broader view with the leaf canopy.

Matthew Studebaker
11-18-2012, 06:28 PM
great control of the reds. Wonderful pose and detail. I love the natural perch. Both crops work well for me.

Marina Scarr
11-18-2012, 06:46 PM
In Photoshop, you can go to selective color, reds, and pull back the magenta slider between 10-15, which will reveal a bit more detail, and reduce the red saturation to a more natural level.

Thanks for that tip, Randy. It has been duly registered in my PS notes.

Melissa, this is a killer capture. I have to vote for the original crop since I find it more artistic and overall more visually pleasing while the tighter crop showcases the bird a bit better.

Satish Ranadive
11-18-2012, 07:43 PM
Melissa:
Gorgeous image of beautiful bird in environment. Very nice composition.
Love the colors,details in red and blacks and beautiful perch.

Regards,
Satish.

Dan Busby
11-18-2012, 08:57 PM
Hi Melissa. This species is really difficult! The reds are so vibrant that it's hard to keep detail in them. I have had several tries at them and have yet to satisfy myself 100%. I find that underexposing the frame a third of a stop or so helps. But your desaturation on the repost has shown the species the way my eye sees it in real life. I like the framing of the OP best - the swirl of branches around the bird really brings focus to it nicely. Really nice! And yes to using playbacks - otherwise you are shooting against bright skies!

Karl Egressy
11-18-2012, 09:30 PM
I find this bird very hard to expose properly. You seem to have done a good job< Melissa. It nicely pops against the green background. The last version looks the best to me.

Stu Bowie
11-19-2012, 12:26 AM
Hi Melissa, love the curved perch, and nicely framed between the foliage. The reds are really striking, and your repost is even better. Comp wise, I would maybe just take a bit off the top.

Robert Holguin
11-19-2012, 02:01 AM
Wonderful shot.
Beautiful bird. Excellent pose, terrific perch, love the background as it brings out the bird nicely, and nice details.
I like the colors on the repost, but prefer the original comp.
Very well done.

Miguel Palaviccini
11-19-2012, 07:29 AM
Melissa - wonderful shot and I really like how you took the suggestions and posted the re-re-post :) That's a portfolio keeper if it were my shot, that's for sure!

Daniel Cadieux
11-19-2012, 12:32 PM
Beautiful image!! I like the relaxed pose, and the "canopy framing" which is very neat. I do prefer the comp on the repost as I find that there is too much going on at the top on the OP.

Vivaldo Damilano
11-19-2012, 12:50 PM
Fantastic and a beautiful image!! The perch make it very special. Tighter crop get my vote well done.

Jim Crosswell
11-19-2012, 05:22 PM
A real beauty Melissa! I like the repost in pane #8.

gail bisson
11-19-2012, 05:45 PM
Wow Melissa! Love the re-repost.
IQ is stunning and I love the dramatic greens and reds.
I have never seen this bird iRL so can't comment on the reds,
Gail

Richard Stern
11-19-2012, 09:17 PM
I loved the first post, and can't see any problem with the exp. or the crop. I prefer the crop to the tighter one in the 2nd repost. Overall a fabulous picture, with gorgeous colors, detail, expression, and framing in the tree.

Richard

Shawn Zierman
11-20-2012, 01:20 AM
Gorgeous image of a gorgeous bird.
Either presentation works well imo, but I prefer the space of the OP.
Love the curve of the perch!

David Salem
11-20-2012, 03:53 AM
Thats a killer shot. The exposure is perfect. I like the tighter comp. Print it!!

Greg Basco
11-21-2012, 07:40 AM
Melissa, I just love this! You've received some great advice on optimizing the image, and I hope you use the tips to make a great large print.

Cheers,
Greg

Melissa Groo
11-21-2012, 08:06 AM
Thanks so much for the comments and suggestions, everyone.