PDA

View Full Version : Red-breasted Nuthatch, finally

Bill Dix
11-18-2012, 12:37 PM
I've been wanting to get a clear shot of these guys for some years now, but they've always eluded me or given me cluttered looks. Now I can finally join the RB Nut parade on BPN. My only complaint here is that he showed up while I was waiting for larger birds (these cute guys are tiny), so I didn't have the TC on and had to crop more than I would have liked. I'll be ready for him next time, but in the meantime C&C are appreciated on this one.

D7000, 500f4, ISO 800, 1/800s @ f/7.1 manual, fill @ -1.7, tripod

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1802"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Tim King
11-18-2012, 01:00 PM
Classic pose. Great all-round photo.

Arno Ellmer
11-18-2012, 02:02 PM
Superbly captured , Bill. I love the pose and the perfect HA .The clean bg adds much to a very elegant image.

Nancy Bell
11-18-2012, 02:09 PM
Congrats! I know the feeling about the RB nuts. I have 2 that hang around the house feeders but WILL NOT let me get a good image. Great view of those feet & claws that let these birds crawl up and down branches so easily. Good job on the entire image.

Karen Forderer
11-18-2012, 02:19 PM
Great photo. I haven't been able to get a clean photo of the ones hanging around my yard either.

Randy Stout
11-18-2012, 05:11 PM
Bill:

Sharp, very well exposed, good fill flash, I love the grip he is showing on the tree. The vine adds some interest to the dead tree trunk, without being overpowering.

I could see a small crop up from the bottom, to just above the sig, but nice as is.

Cheers

Randy

Dan Busby
11-18-2012, 09:02 PM
Great shot Bill. Feels great to finally put a tick in the box eh. I love the simple design and superb detail.

Karl Egressy
11-18-2012, 09:37 PM
Classic pose, nice perch and beauty smooth background, Bill.

Robert Holguin
11-19-2012, 02:02 AM
Excellent shot.
I really love the pose, terrific perch, and great background.
Very well done.

christopher galeski
11-19-2012, 05:53 AM
nice capture,sharp,nice pose.good BG,like the vine on the tree.thanks.

Miguel Palaviccini
11-19-2012, 07:32 AM
Bill - it looks like the IQ is great, as I wouldn't have noticed that you cropped so heavily. Very nice head angle and I love the downward facing pose. Glad you got a chance to shoot one of these guys!

Miguel

Bill Dix
11-19-2012, 12:31 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments. In the decades that I've lived in my house, I had never had a Red-breasted Nuthatch on my feeders. Then this one showed up. In the few weeks since I took this image, he has become a regular visitor, although he doesn't perch often or long on anything but the feeders. Still, I'm sure you'll be seeing more of him if he sticks around. Curiously, on five separate occasions when I've gone out to fill a feeder, he has immediately flown in and perched about a foot above my head, looking into my eyes and responding to me with some charming cheeps. Almost eerie. But Daniel says they will feed out of his hand, so I guess they are tame and curious little fellows.

Daniel Cadieux
11-19-2012, 12:45 PM
But Daniel says they will feed out of his hand, so I guess they are tame and curious little fellows.

You should try it next time he comes around while you fill your feeders. The sharp spear-like bill looks worrisome, but he won't injure you:bg3: Nice vertical comp here, and I like the tree. Good green BG.

Bill Dix
11-19-2012, 12:50 PM
Thanks Daniel. I'll give it a try. I'll admit that the sharp little bill looked like it could do some damage.