PDA

View Full Version : Bald Eagle and Dam

Colin Gilyeat
11-18-2012, 09:49 AM
I'm a little reluctant to post this one because of all the seagulls (white spots) in the background. Since my cloning skills are very basic (at best), I appreciate any suggestions on cloning them out.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8198/8193783235_d6cddce325_h.jpg

D7000, Sigma @500mm, ISO200, f/9.0, 1/1000, -1/3EV, tripod
PP in LR slight (maybe 10%) crop for framing, adusted levels, WB, sharpened.

Thanks,

Colin

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1802"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Clyde Hopper
11-18-2012, 11:28 AM
Collin ,this is a busy ,but interesting shot .Not having been there at the creation of the photograph ,the (4) white spots on the tips of the post look like possible street lights,they're spaced out perfectly . I would opt to keep them. I would however remove the (4) white spots along the top -right part of the frame .My choice of tool would be content aware patch . In pse it would have an Icon of a Band-aid , not sure in CS6 ,as Santa hasn't delivered it yet . LOL .
As to the photograph in general ,Yes it's busy , BUT ,there is a good deal of info that adds (IMO) to the over all picture . the car on the Dam balances the Weight of the bird .And gives me an Idea of how bid the dam is .I like the repetitive lines ,Like the placement of the bird . I even like the shadows....I may be in a corner by my self on this one ,due to the face this photo is out of the norm,but I do like it Petty much "as is "

Jeannean Ryman
11-18-2012, 01:04 PM
I'm jealous of you folks with eagles to photograph! Nice look it's giving you. I looked closer at the photo, and agree with Clyde, those are lights, although there is one gull in between the lights on the top row. Since you have done such a small crop, I'd be inclined to just crop that top row of lights/gull out. Iif you want to get rid of the other four, I'd use the clone tool, and use with a section without the lights as the "source". I don't have a lot of luck with the "Band-aid" tool, but it's easier to use if it works.

Jeff Cashdollar
11-18-2012, 05:09 PM
Colin,

Always glad when images are posted and every picture has merit and in its own way is interesting. My job is to make you better this being an educational forum and that leads me to a discussion on the background. It is so important to control the background it is just as critical as the subject IMO. That being said when we see eagles the impulse is to take the picture and same with me. Remember to keep the frame simple and try and mute the background when possible. Artie is the best when is comes to clean backgrounds have you ever read his books the Art of Bird Photography or Digital Basics - both mandatory reading and I have them both.

Composition is the most critical component of photography and generally speaking we try and move the subject from the middle of the frame. I know you have heard of the rule of 1/3s keep this in mind it helps the eye process the picture and that is the bottom line - the eye must find peace in the frame,..find harmony with the image. You are on the right track and the more you post the better you get.

Lets talk briefly about exposure technique - why 200 ISO?

Colin Gilyeat
11-18-2012, 06:16 PM
Sorry about losing the original photo. I used the replace action on flickr which replaced the image and broke the link for my original posting here.

Jeff, I'm beginning to understand about the imprtance the background plays in an image. Conowingo Dam, MD, where I took that photo, is known for the numbers of eagles there this time of the year. Becuse of that, it's not an issue of seening an eagle, but when and where and will it be close enough to shoot. Backgounds there tend to be the dam, the river, the trees across the river, sky, and the island in the middle of the river.

I have not read either book, but I will look for them. The reason I came to this site was to take advantage of the experience here so I can get better.

As for ISO 200, when I arrived at the Dam the light was dim enough that in order to get the shutter up enough to stop motion (1/1000) I upped the iso. At ISO 100, I was at 1/500 or 1/640, which from my past experience still left some motion blur in the wing tips. Because of that, I set the ISO at 200 which let me shoot at 1/1000.

I really appreciate everones comments and encouragement on my work. Here's the updated image based on Clyde's and Jeananne's comments about the lights and a suggest crop. I cloned the lights out and cropped a little more from the right side and the top.

Thanks,

Colin

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8198/8193783235_cafa6f0ee0_h.jpg

Jeff Cashdollar
11-18-2012, 07:06 PM
Colin,

ISO is an interesting part of the exposure triangle and often misunderstood. You are on the right track and Nikon has a broad range. With Canon. I usually start with 400 and increase in lower light as you might know when you double the ISO you gain a full stop of light. Moreover 1/500 becomes 1/1000 this adds exposure options; I never go below 200 ensuring I have flexibility with the shutter and/or aperture. In bird photography sharp detail is critical and fast shutters, correct apertures and tripods help in this regard.

On a separate note, I photograph Eagles usually once or twice a year and when ever I see the amazing birds my heart starts pounding and I get excited. Just look at the power and beauty - no wonder it is the National Bird.