PDA

View Full Version : Red-browed grass Finch

John Cooper
11-18-2012, 12:41 AM
The Red-browed finch was attracted to this perch by placing a few millet seeds in the flower-head.

EOS 7D, EF 100-400L, ISO 320, 1/640 sec F8, early morning light, hide, tripod.

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1708"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Satish Ranadive
11-18-2012, 01:00 AM
John:
Magnificent image.Very nice composition,colors and background.Love the pose with open beak and nice details.
IMHO brights on perch and whites in the flowers needs to tone down slightly.

Regards,
Satish.

Stu Bowie
11-18-2012, 02:51 AM
Hi John, another great eye level capture, and good idea to place the seeds to create a good pose from the finch. Lots of colours to look at, and if anything, I would liked to have seen the end of the leaf on the right that you have cut off. :w3

PhilCook
11-18-2012, 04:07 AM
Lovely composition with the flower head John { Hakea or Pincushion Bush } Colour of the flower complimemts the bird. A tad bright maybe and a little too much in contrast as well possibly, but looking very nice indeed

Karl Egressy
11-18-2012, 05:33 AM
Beautiful image, John. I like the vivid colours and composition. It seems that you controlled the red well, which I find very difficult to do.

John Cooper
11-18-2012, 06:16 AM
Lovely composition with the flower head John { Hakea or Pincushion Bush } Colour of the flower complimemts the bird. A tad bright maybe and a little too much in contrast as well possibly, but looking very nice indeed

Thanks Phil - yes correct on both counts, its the pin-cushion Hakea.

John Cooper
11-18-2012, 06:19 AM
Beautiful image, John. I like the vivid colours and composition. It seems that you controlled the red well, which I find very difficult to do.

Thank you Karl - yes the reds tend to over saturate - I find this particularly so with the EOS 7D. I have applied 20% desaturation of the red channel here.

Marina Scarr
11-18-2012, 09:40 AM
Your photos are already becoming recognizable to me just from the thumbnails, John. They are so bright and colorful which is exactly what I like. Well planned and composed. Lovely setting.

gail bisson
11-18-2012, 09:42 AM
Hi John,
Beautiful bird on a lovely perch.
I find the image very bright and would reduce the overall brightness and tame the whites a bit.
The IQ seems a bit wonky especially around the tail and wing tips. It looks like NR was applied to these areas as they appear smudged.
For my taste I would like a bit more room all around,
Gail

Joe Senzatimore
11-18-2012, 09:45 AM
Very artistic and well done.

Frank Schauf
11-18-2012, 10:50 AM
Beautiful and colorful image. Sharp and well composed.

Bill Dix
11-18-2012, 12:13 PM
Great bird and perch. I like the comp. I would also vote for toning down the bright whites just a bit, and would probably desat the red channel even further. I suspect the bird and flower are indeed very bright red in real life, but having never seen either, the image comes across as just a bit over the top to my eye.

Robert Holguin
11-19-2012, 05:13 PM
Lovely shot.
Excellent pose, great perch, and nice details.
I agree on toning down the overall brightness.
Well done.