PDA

View Full Version : WHich AF guide for 1 DX

Marc Rapaport
11-17-2012, 09:27 PM
HI I am moving up from a 1ds mark ii to a 1 dx...looking on your store camera guides...any reason to get the 5D mark iii guide which sounds like it is AF PLUS other buttons etc VS the actual labeled 1 DX guide? Any reason to purchase both?

Thanks,

Marc

Gary Lien
11-19-2012, 09:40 PM
Mark; Canon has a guide you can download. Don't have it available right now, but it is on their website. Not sure why you would want to buy one. Either way, I would get the 1DX guide if that is the camera you have.

Marc Rapaport
11-19-2012, 09:58 PM
I appreciate your reply however I am most interested in the settings Arthur recommends...I emailed the store and posted here and no one from Birds as Art has replied...

I will end up giving them a call...

Martin Lord
11-22-2012, 02:39 AM
Marc, folks at bird as art are normally pretty responsive. I am not sure how to answer your original question; I would venture to say, coming from the 1ds, that the 5d guide has info that might be useful to you as the 1dx and the 5diii have much in common. The 5d guide should also have the AF info you are looking for. The only difference between the 2 AF system is EOS iTR and as far as I can tell, it's not clear if this 1dx feature needs to be turned on or off for BIF :-).

I would also recommend reading the totally free "Master the EOS 1Dx's AF system", which you can get here:
http://learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2012/1dx_guidebook.shtml

IMO, the final word has yet to be said on AF settings on the 1Dx. Canon provides a lot of info in the above document to experiment. Different folks may want to use different settings. Skilled photographers might want to use less AF points. Others might have more success with more AF points and a more enthusiastic 1 or 2 value for "AF pt auto switching". After a few years of 1dm4, it seems like many photographers converged to similar settings on the 1dm4. It seems like opinions still differ on the 1dx. Maybe one reason for that is that the AF works so dawn well with many of those settings....

Hope this helps.