PDA

View Full Version : Australian pelican

Thonnaksar NOP
04-25-2008, 06:01 AM
I love pelicans because they have amazing and sometimes funny postures. I like the feather sticking out on this one...

D2Hs, 70-200 VR, 1/250", f/4, @200mm, 400 ISO, Captured late afternoon, overcast day

Chris van Rooyen
04-25-2008, 06:21 AM
Very appealing and intimate image. I agree on the feather sticking out, gives it an authentic look. I would have preferred a tiny bit of fill flash to add a bit of sparkle and to provide a catchlight. I larger f/stop might have helped to get more of the shoulder in focus to accentuate the intricate feather textures.

Robert O'Toole
04-25-2008, 09:41 AM
Nice portrait, the soft light really looks good as does the eye ring and the bill color. I like the reddish sheen in the black feathers.

When I look at the image I wish we could see more with a closer view of the face and head, I think a 500/4 would have been the perfect focal length for me.

Nicely done and the feather is cool.

Like the closer crop also.

robert

Michael Eckstein
04-25-2008, 10:05 AM
Eye catching image! Almost appears as an abstract painting. I like the suggested crop as well, but I think the original crop has more impact. Thanks for sharing.

Jody Melanson
04-25-2008, 02:46 PM
Love it as presented. Wish for a catchlight....

Dan Brown
04-25-2008, 03:16 PM
Great image! I also like the cropped version and the feather is very unique. I yearned for a catchlight also, so I added one. Don't know about the ethics of doing it, but I look at photography as art, and art is in the "eye" of the beholder. Dan Brown

Ákos Lumnitzer
04-25-2008, 05:11 PM
Another nice omage from you Sar. :) I miss the catchlight myself.

Thonnaksar NOP
04-26-2008, 12:00 AM
Very appealing and intimate image. I agree on the feather sticking out, gives it an authentic look. I would have preferred a tiny bit of fill flash to add a bit of sparkle and to provide a catchlight. I larger f/stop might have helped to get more of the shoulder in focus to accentuate the intricate feather textures.
Agreed with you about the fill-flash. I did have a flash on my camera that day, but the batteries were dead !

Thonnaksar NOP
04-26-2008, 12:22 AM
Peter, I really like your tighter crop and now I've added a small catchlight as well.

What do you think about this version ?