PDA

View Full Version : Jupiter Lighthouse

Don Lacy
11-17-2012, 02:13 PM
When I started shooting slide film the jupiter Lighthouse was one of my main subjects I used it to help learn exposure and composition I have about a hundred images of this Lighthouse on slides but not one digital capture, so i decided to recreate one of my favorite slide images using pixels. I hope you enjoy it.
Thanks

1DMKIII, 70-200 f/4 at 200, 5s at f/8, Aperture Priority, Evaluative Metered -2/3, raw, ISO 200

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1869"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Rachel Hollander
11-17-2012, 04:18 PM
Hi Don - good to go back and recapture images and subjects that you are fond of. I like the slight burst coming from the lighthouse and the reflected light in the water. Maybe just a tad too much negative space the rhs.

TFS,
Rachel

Don Railton
11-23-2012, 05:50 PM
Hi Don

I am with Rachel here, I think it it would be stronger cropping from the top and right. I also think a longer exposure may have added more to the reflection which would help also.

thanks for showing

DON

Roman Kurywczak
11-29-2012, 12:52 PM
Hey Don,
Really good job with the light itself....tough to keep in check. I don't mind the negative space RHS but I would come down form the top. It fits the pano with the long bridge. While a longer SS may have given more color to the water.....it would have blown out the light and in this case.....I prefer the sunburst you've got going.
Very nice job overall and great you got to do it again!

Don Railton
11-29-2012, 05:55 PM
Hi Roman, do you think an F stop of say 16 to 22 at a ~ 10 sec exposure would have added to the starburst effect and the reflection?

Don

Roman Kurywczak
11-29-2012, 06:01 PM
Hi Roman, do you think an F stop of say 16 to 22 at a ~ 10 sec exposure would have added to the star-burst effect and the reflection?

Don
I think f/16-22 would give an excellent star-burst in most cases......but when it comes to lighthouses.....the 10 second exposure would generally blow out the light itself. Most of the time you are better off getting one shine of the light when it comes to lighthouses. You can block it out......but often difficult. Make sense?

Don Railton
11-29-2012, 06:02 PM
yup... thanks...

Don Lacy
11-30-2012, 09:27 PM
Hi Dan, If you use a long shutter speed while shooting a Lighthouse the revolving light will overexpose as it repeatedly shines on the camera. Since the Jupiter Lighthouse is a fully functioning lighthouse with a fresnel lens I had to time the release of the shutter to avoid the light beam.

Morkel Erasmus
12-06-2012, 05:44 AM
Nice tranquil mood here Dan.
I agree with Roman's crop suggestion. The light/dark balance is well handled overall.
I would assume that you can use a grad filter as well to obtain slower SS for the water without blowing out the lighthouse light...