PDA

View Full Version : Best I could do with this rare bird

Jack Breakfast
11-17-2012, 11:12 AM
Hello folks
I had the good fortune of spending approximately 30 seconds watching a boreal chickadee flit and flutter through the side-of-the-road foliage. The light was unflattering and I would never in a million years call this a proud and pleasing photograph, but I am happy with it because I know that I did my best in the situation and was also more than lucky to get a little bit of time watching this fine northern visitor...
Taken with the Canon 7D and 70-300L at 300mm, iso640, 1/1250, f7.1. You are looking at 65% of the original capture, a heavy crop, I know I know, but I only hope your day won't be ruined by having a look at this picture...

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1777"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Ivan Ellison
11-17-2012, 01:38 PM
I know what you mean , when the chance of a rarity comes you have to take it and they quite often do not perform as we would like. The bird sits well in the messy habitat and has come out fully for you. I think it would look better with the bird more to the left so it looks into the frame instead of right in the center. Looking at it , there is plenty of detail still in the bird and I feel you may still be able to crop into some more. A quick pass over with the burn tool over the bright fluffy bits of vegatation will help to tone them down a little. Not easy such small birds and you certainly haven't ruined my day.- the mixed british weather does that!!

Jack Breakfast
11-17-2012, 02:47 PM
And I know just what YOU mean, Ivan. I did like the placement of the bird with a little more room on the right than on the left, but I could certainly crop in a little bit more. I agree wholeheartedly RE the burning of the fluffy bits and shall so do!

Bill Dix
11-17-2012, 02:54 PM
Having never even seen, much less photographed, this little guy, I would be very pleased to capture this. It is worth some extra effort, especially since the bird seems to have good detail and a nice pose. I'd start by some further cropping and toning down the bright spots in the bg, as Ivan suggested.

Jack Breakfast
11-17-2012, 03:14 PM
Yes Bill, you're right. I will do as you and Ivan suggested. Could possibly end up with a picture that could still work as a small-size print. Should suffice until I venture to Alaska! Which will hopefully happen some time in the next 20 years...

gail bisson
11-17-2012, 03:20 PM
I like the soft dappled light and the umbrella effect of the flowers over the head.
If the bird can take it I would crop a bit tighter and move the bird to the left of frame.
Gail

laurie golden
11-17-2012, 05:59 PM
Congratulations! Great the way it is.

PhilCook
11-17-2012, 06:30 PM
Well done Jack, any image of a rarity is a good image, for me that's what birding is all about, and at least it's not blurry with nice fine detail.....congrats, and a great score for sure !

Peter Dexter
11-17-2012, 07:11 PM
I think you did very well and I would have cropped tighter.

Jack Breakfast
11-17-2012, 11:33 PM
Thanks, folks, for the bolstering words...here's a repost for you...I think we're just at the cusp of goodness and badness in the IQ department. Keeping the image under 250KB has robbed me a little bit also, but anyhow, thanks many times over for your comments and suggestions. As always, your input is very much appreciated...

Satish Ranadive
11-18-2012, 01:41 AM
Congratulations for getting wonderful image of this rare bird.Seeing for the first time.Re post looks great and gives nice view of the bird.
As usual nice colors and sharpness.Thanks for sharing.

Regards,
Satish.

Karl Egressy
11-18-2012, 05:49 AM
This is an amazing find especially down here, this time of the year, Jack. Well done.

Jack Breakfast
11-18-2012, 08:25 AM
Thanks Karl, and everyone else. Especially difficult given that I had to put up with the nearby owlchasing audio-playing bird-baiting ne'er-do-wells! Allow me to point out that the bird isn't rare so much as it's rare to see down in the warm climes. Go to Alaska and have yourself a ball! I hope to, someday...

Shawn Zierman
11-20-2012, 01:57 AM
I like the warmly toned weedy setting. It's much different than the majority of images
I've seen of this species, including my own. I also like the angle of view we have of the
subject...topside.

Jack Breakfast
11-21-2012, 11:12 PM
Just saw your comment now, Shawn. Thanks for the vote of confidence!