PDA

View Full Version : Little River, Smoky Mountains

Jay Sheinfield
11-17-2012, 10:54 AM
This image was taken at Cades Cove, Smoky Mountain National Park.

Nikon D3
24mm
1.3 sec @f/18

I'm not sure about the calibration on my monitor, so if the whites/contrast looks bland, pls let me know.

Comments welcome...........

<iframe width="468" scrolling="no" height="60" frameborder="0" style="border:none;" border="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=2211" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0"><p>Your browser does not support iFrame.</p></iframe>

Jerry van Dijk
11-17-2012, 02:19 PM
Hi Jay, this is a lovely scene which works very well in B/W. Whites look good, contrast seems fine to me (not too much, not too litlle). I do wish the FG rock wasn't touching the edge of the frame.

Don Lacy
11-17-2012, 02:47 PM
Nice use of B/W and I really like the s curve the stream makes through the frame. Like Jerry I would prefere the rock was not cut off along with the stream in the middle of the frame

Rachel Hollander
11-17-2012, 04:23 PM
Jay - good points raised by Jerry and Don. Based on the proportions of the image, was this a landscape capture that you cropped to portrait? If so, perhaps you have more room to the left.

TFS,
Rachel

Jay Sheinfield
11-17-2012, 09:38 PM
Thanks for the feedback folks. Rachel, I wish I had more canvass.......unfortunately not. Not sure what to do about the rock..........just keep it in mind for the time.

Judy Howle
11-18-2012, 04:22 PM
I like the scene in b & w. I might add a bit more contrast but it looks good as is.

Alan Lillich
11-28-2012, 11:36 AM
For the most part I really like the composition. Your height is good, any lower and you would start to obscure the rocks. I especially like how the bright trees in the upper left form an S-curve to go with the curve of the river. Like others I wish there was a little more room on the left edge. I'm not 100% confident in my viewing setup (although the monitor calibration strip looks OK), but I think I would like the image to be a little brighter overall, especially in the understory plants in the middle right.

Jay Gould
11-28-2012, 04:58 PM
Jay, I like everything about it! it is somber and evokes "fear" - fear that I wouldn't want to be there alone at night. Shiver!!

The rock: how much do you love the image? Enough to to pixel level and carefully change the pixels to make the rock slightly smaller on the left side and insert the needed border.

Jay Sheinfield
11-28-2012, 05:32 PM
Jay, thanks for the feedback..........actually, as a result of the feedback, I have a version with the rock cloned away on the left side. I may re-post it after the while.

Roman Kurywczak
11-29-2012, 12:48 PM
Hey Jay,
Excellent suggestions above. All in all a good comp. Amazing that a slight turn to the left would have made a big impact in the comp so just keep that in mind for next time in the field. Given the observations above, I still think this turned out very nice and a few tweaks will go a long way.

Jay Sheinfield
11-29-2012, 01:17 PM
Roman, thanks............I need to remember to to zoom out slightly as a matter of habit, just in case. ;)

Morkel Erasmus
12-06-2012, 02:58 AM
Much has been said. Sorry that I'm late to this one - I was away on safari.
I like the moody/spooky feel and and overall composition.

The tonal range just seems a bit 'muddy' to me. I'd like to see a version with brighter midtones and highlights...just dodge them a bit and see the result?