PDA

View Full Version : Smoky Mountain Vista

Rachel Hollander
11-16-2012, 06:43 PM
Taken from Clingman's Dome in the Smoky Mountains about an hour before sunset.

Canon 5D3
70-200 II @ 85mm
1/800
f9
ISO 100
Tripod, 2 stop GND, levels, curves, LCE, selective color adjustments, Hougaard Malan actions, sharpened in CS5.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1719"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Hazel Grant
11-17-2012, 08:31 AM
Nice contrast between the sharp clouds and misty mountains. I think I'd crop some off the bottom. Seems a bit heavy

Jerry van Dijk
11-17-2012, 02:27 PM
Hi Rachel, this is a very lovely scene. Good suggestion from Hazel. There also is considerable vignetting in the UR and UL corner which I would get rid of.
This would work very well as a more abstract image if you crop off all the clouds. I've been looking to make such an image for quite some time, but I seem to fail to be at the right place at the right time. It doesn't help that we don't have any mountains in Holland....:S3:.

Don Lacy
11-17-2012, 02:52 PM
Hi Rachel, For me the image is about the beautiful pastel layers created by the Mountains and i think a Pano crop would really focus the viewers attention on that aspect of the image. Here I took both of the previous suggestions and removed the clouds and some of the bottom of the image.

Rachel Hollander
11-17-2012, 04:01 PM
Thanks Hazel, Jerry and Don, I had debated about a crop from the bottom and I like the alternative of the pano crop though I will admit I thought the clouds added interest. Jerry, thanks for pointing out the vignette. That's something that seems to be occuring sometimes with the 5D3 and I'm not used to it since this is my first ff camera.

Thanks again,
Rachel

Judy Howle
11-18-2012, 04:29 PM
Like Jerry said, I would love to photograph an image like that in the Smokies. I have an older one that is similar from Clingman's dome at sunset years ago and I should revisit it, but yours is better. I like the pano crop but I would consider including more sky and painting it the same color. Or select and fill... Love the layers of mountains!

Roman Kurywczak
11-29-2012, 12:45 PM
Hey Rachel,
I like the layers too and I also like Don's crop......although I might go a touch higher and clean up the clouds. Why.....the focus then becomes on the lines and layers. For me....the clouds seem to interfere with that.

Morkel Erasmus
12-05-2012, 09:47 AM
This one is all about the lines and layers, as Roman pointed out. I like Don's crop, and would slice even more off the bottom.
Roman - Don did exclude the clouds? Did you mean she should leave the sky but clone out the clouds?

Roman Kurywczak
12-05-2012, 10:20 AM
Was thinking something like this.....

Rachel Hollander
12-05-2012, 10:27 AM
Thanks Judy, Roman and Morkel for the comments and suggestions. I like where Roman has gone with a little bit more sky but I'm not really comfortable with cloning out all the clouds.

Thanks again,
Rachel